1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to upgrade, but what might I get (or what should I ask for)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cwdonahue, Nov 13, 2017 at 5:55 PM.

1. cwdonahue

cwdonahue Legend

Jun 6, 2007
    I usually adhere to "If it's not broken, don't fix it", but the time has come to finally upgrade my DTV equipment. I bought a 4K UHD TV about 2 years ago (Samsung UN65JS8500) and given DirecTV is beginning to offer more 4K content, I guess it's time to enable that in my system. I'm eligible for an upgrade, so that part is covered.

I have the following equipment:

HR21-200 (attached to the 4K UHD TV)
    HR24-500 (in my man cave)
    H21-100 (bedroom)

So, if I call and ask for an upgrade, as I understand it, I'll need to get an HR54 Genie or HS17 Genie2 to support my 4K UHD TV. Based on what I've read, it seems like the boxes in the man cave and bedroom will also need to be replaced with Genie minis. Could I retain the HR24-500? Any advantage to doing that? My Samsung TV appears to be on the list of Direct TV Ready 4K TVs. So, no box needed or should I ask for a Genie mini?

Knowing how DirecTV does business, I'm assuming they'd push an HR54 at me and not an HS17 which they'll give to new subscribers. Do I just take the HR54 or push for the HS17? Anyone have any success asking for the HS17 as part of an upgrade? Anything else I should specifically ask for?

2. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    I would never go with the hs17, due to it being compatible with only minis, I would keep both hd-dvrs and replace your non dvr with a hr54

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Rich likes this.
  3. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    Actually one would need to be replaced with a 4k mini, or you could use your directv ready rvu, but that would need activated and cost 7.00 more per month

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I’d go hs17 and three minis with the 4k mini for the 4k tv. It’ll do as much or more in every way than your system you have now.

5. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    As you can see there is no correct answer.
    The HR54 vs HS17 debate will continue to rage for a while. Most of the people who shade the HS17 are 'power users' with more than 7 TVs.
    For your situation either system will work and neither system will be without some nagging issues.

Doctor j

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    And fail in a way more catastrophic than anything in his present setup would.

Rich

DishCSR and crodrules like this.
  7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, I have 9 TV sets and I wouldn't touch a 17. Just an opinion.

Rich

doctor j likes this.
  8. cwdonahue

cwdonahue Legend

Jun 6, 2007
    So...the monthly charges for an HR54 + mini is more than an HR54 + RVU on my 4K TV? Hmmm.... Is there are monthly equipment charge list floating around the internet somewhere? Guess I need to look at that.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It's at least $7 a month for each device (I think they give you one at no cost). Even owned DVRs...nothing but another money grab.

Rich

10. cwdonahue

cwdonahue Legend

Jun 6, 2007
    I've never had whole home networking activated for my current system. Just haven't needed it that often. I'd like to add that now.
    So, if I keep the HR24 and the H21 and replace the HR21 with and HR54, would I be able to watch programs recorded on the HR24 and HR54 on any/every TV in the house? Any restrictions once a HR54 Genie is in the system?

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You will be able to watch content from any HR. You will be able to see a combined Playlist, all the content from each HR in one Playlist. There are no restrictions but as you add HRs it can be problematic. I had 12 HRs on my MRV at one time and had lots of issues. Sounds like you only have a few, you won't have problems...hopefully.

Rich

12. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Rich I like you, but that argument is just horse pucky in my book. :)

Well, for anyone but you anyway. You find all the bad units of anything and everything.

13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    No no no. The cost is the same. Look at the fees on a per tv that can watch tv' not based on what is used to make it work.

So your current bill will likely go up by three dollars a month, because it sounds like you are a very old plan and on an old DVR fee for only 10 dollars. Normal DVR for today is 15 but for older customers you can get away with a $13 DVR fee.

Mini clients or RVU TVs have the exact same fee per month. And HS 17 has no actual fee itself since it doesn’t itself hook up to a television. Anyway you look at it however many TVs you have that’s how many fees you’re going to pay for mirroring your programming minus your first television because you are on the old plan.

14. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don’t agree. I only have 3 TVs but 9 tuners. An HS17 costs me 2 tuners.

15. doctor j

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Yes , that is a part of the differences. I said there is no 'right answer'
    But HS17 is designed for 15 tuners, how/when/why is an ongoing debate !??

Doctor j

16. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    Just be aware of this. Your HR54 cannot reside on your 4K TV if you go that route. 4K is only available on the minis or RVU, not on the actual HR unit. I found this out the hard way when I upgraded. And with that, you lose functionality such as PIP which doesn't work on the mini (something I really missed during the recent baseball post season). That said, what I had previously was similar to what you have, plus one other DVR which broke down (the reason that sparked me to upgrade). I had an HR44 previously plus the two HR2x DVRs and an H2x. I ended up with the HR54 which replaced one of my HR2x, two minis which replaced the hR44 and the H2x and an HR24 (which replaced a similar broken unit). What I do find though is that I have to reboot my HR54 on occasion. I don't know much about the server only unit. I assume you can still use the HR to connect to it as well as the minis.

17. doctor j

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    NOPE!!
    Only clients can be used with HS17 by Directv POLICY.
    all old receivers are returned/ replaced by wired/wireless clients.

And the debate goes on

Doctor j

18. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    In which case, i wouldn't touch an HS17. How many tuners do you get with an HS17?

19. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    But it’d cost the OP no tuners. How you use your system is a very important factor in all this.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You ought to see what I'm going thru with my Acadia...I got no luck...

Rich