1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Warner buys LA Lakers RSN rights, must provide to DBSs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mws192, Feb 14, 2011.

1. mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    http://www.multichannel.com/article..._A_Lakers_Regional_Sports_Network_Rights_.php

2. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
  3. pbg

pbg Godfather

Oct 11, 2007
    How do you get, 'they must provide' to DBS's from that ? It says they'll be available to satellite - Comcast Sports NW is 'available', but no one picks it up because its to expensive. With that, LA is obliviously a huge market and in DirecTV's backyard, so I'm sure they'll do what they can to be able to provide it

4. Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    It might work out for us in San Diego. We get the Lakers on Fox Sports West/PT, but when they are on KCAL 9, we don't get that station so we were out of luck. Hopefully we get the the Time Warner Sports on Directv.

5. sunfire9us

sunfire9us Godfather

Feb 15, 2009
    I just replied on the other thread concerning this, MOST likely this will be the rsn the Padres move to after this year. This is the LAST YEAR of the 20 year exclusive Cox Cable contract and it's been highly expected the Padres will move to a rsn. The Padres told me via email once when this happens their telecasts will be avail on "multiple platforms" instead of just being on Cox cable in SD. That will be the day!!!!!!! Cant wait for it!!!!!

6. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    So, it would appear we here in SoCal get another channel. Most likely it will be in HD, and DirecTV cannot afford to distribute it in SD only..... as the fanbase in the Southern California are is HUGE.

I never watch it myself, but have many, many laker fans among my friends.

The only thing I hope for, is that this yet-to-be-named network, will also broadcast some other good sports.

7. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Agreed. The Lakers are easily the 2nd most important sports team in the L.A. area, with MLB's Dodgers being first, and MLB's Angels being third. The Lakers franchise is HUGE, and DirecTV will most certainly lose customers if they are not able to provide the Laker games in HD.

8. MikeP

MikeP Legend

Mar 15, 2003
  9. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    will TW be getting any other la teams kings, ducks, dodgers, angels?

10. TonySCV

TonySCV Legend

Oct 10, 2006
    I would think Fox Sports Net West/PrimeTicket will certainly do everything in their power to stop the bleeding. Losing the Lakers is a huge loss, but they still have Dodgers, Angels, Clippers, Kings and Ducks broadcasts.

Does TimeWarner have any regional sports networks at all presently? This is the first is it not?

EDIT: No, it's not. Didn't read the article far enough at first. :) "All told, Time Warner Cable manages 34 local channels, nine of which are local sports nets, with another seven featuring sports content. The networks largely sport minor league and collegiate fare.

The MSO's local sports network roster: TWC Sports Central NY 1 & 2; TWC Sports 3 Albany; TWC SportsNet Rochester; TWC SportsNet Buffalo; TWC Sports 32 Wisconsin; Metro Sports 1 & 2 Kansas City; and Metro Sports Nebraska. Local sports are also carried on Texas Channel, TWC SoCal 101, TWC TV New England, NEON (Northeast Ohio Network) and OC16 (Oceanic TWC in Hawaii).

The nation's No. 2 cable operator also has an equity position in SportsNet NY, the cable home of the New York Mets, and has an ad sales partnership with SportsTime Ohio."

11. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    TW has a network in new york, other day NHL network aired a college hockey game and it was on TW sports network. but the LA network would be their first true big one.

im shocked CSN hasn't yet started CSN los angeles

congrats on the 1-0 win in philly i cant believe you won. last time kings on in philly reagen or bush was president

12. ajc68

ajc68 Icon

Jan 23, 2008
    Comcast doesn't have a cable presence in Los Angeles. They only have RSNs in regions they serve.

13. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    well thats good, i wonder how long before they try to move in.

LA seems to be the last major city they dont have it in.

Philly, chicago, boston, miami, denver, they got some parcel in NY

14. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Comcast sold the remaining part of their cable network to Time Warner when they were dividing up Adelphia. Maybe they were thinking about it at some point, but when Adelphia went bust back in 2006, opportunites arose to concentrate on certain markets, and TWC got pretty much the whole L.A. area market, with a small area of Cox in South OC, and a few scattered Charter areas.

80% of SoCal has TWC as their cable company, and equally about 80% of the San Diego area.

Starting a network would make sense. After all, they don't have to charge fees to themselves. Its a guaranteed money maker if you can get a team on board.

15. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    They used to have a part of Los Angeles. When the remaining Adelphia networks were divided between TWC and Comcast, Comcast pulled out of Los Angeles to give TWC that market, and in return TWC pulled out of other markets in favor of Comcast.

16. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    That was a dumb move by comcast!! ,seeing as to how popular the lakers are in so cal.,and i see where time warner may also add the L.A. dodgers to the new RSN also.

17. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    where did you see the info on the Dodgers?

18. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    yeah, im just wondering what is up comcast sleave, they now own nbc universal and they will be gaining money and i wonder what area they have targeted next.

19. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    nbc universal is now nbcuniversal. (no space) lol.

20. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    oops