Time Warner CEO: Netflix is a chimp, not a gorilla

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by dpeters11, Jan 7, 2011.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    http://www.cnbc.com//id/40950686

From everything I know about them though, you have to be a lot more careful around a chimp than a gorilla. I'd rather come face to face with a ticked off gorilla any day.

Wondering what other thoughts are. Is he right that they are not a threat, or is he underestimating the strength of the Netflix Chimpanzee?

2. Art7220

Art7220 Godfather

Feb 4, 2004
    Well, I don't think Netflix is as much of a threat as Bit Torrent. But as long as I can use it to cut the cord though. Let Old Media be clueless.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I wouldn't count Bittorrent. While the technology itself is interesting and useful... it's use in tv/movie delivery at this point is largely by illegal use...

One could just as easily say that bank robbery is competition for getting a job... since stealing pays better... which is of course true only if you don't get caught.

On the topic... I don't see Netflix as a threat to cable or satellite in the near future. It was a threat to local rental stores like Blockbuster... and could still take over the home rental market and be a successful company.

But I don't see a threat to traditional TV delivery at this point.

4. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008

4 years ago, we had about 7 video rental stores here; blockbuster, movie gallery, hollywood video, etc. . .

Now we have two.

I haven't been in a video rental store in at least three years. some neighboring towns now have none.

netflix has inflicted serious damage.

5. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Netflix alone is no threat at all, but anyone that discounts what they are doing does so at their own peril. Consider this; if Netflix, Roku, Apple or some combination of the three developed a platform where people could buy programming ala-carte and do so in a simple way then every cable company is in jeopardy.

ESPN could easily charge $10 a month to provide an app that delivered their networks to your Roku or Apple TV. HBO could charge the same or more. FSN, Discovery, Showtime and others? You bet.

Put Netflix or Apple in charge of this thing and it would be killer. A unified way for people to subscribe so that they only had one bill to pay, put together a few packages that gave people a little bit of a break with certain combinations and your chimp just grew up to be a monster. The content providers still have their cable and satellite subscribers and they are charging a much higher rate to the cord cutters than they charge Comcast. Cord cutters get exactly what they want for a lot less money than they pay today. It's a win-win for everyone except for Comacst.

I'm just a random dumbass on the Internet and I thought of this so I am sure that this is something that Jobs and Hastings have at least considered. Netflix has one helluva track record delivering on demand content so they would be the front runner in my mind, but there is nothing that Steve Jobs loves more than to control the user experience of "his" devices. Either could do it and it just might happen.

6. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Some also confuse the chimp for a chump. :D

7. thespaceghost

thespaceghost Legend

May 23, 2008
    I would certainly consider them a threat. Netflix does something that many corporations fail to do; innovate

While Time Warner continues to follow popular trends and buys up ballooned companies, Netflix has a vision for the future. Netflix did what the major companies could not do; finish off the brick and mortar rental stores. Even I am a bit surprised how well the online streaming aspect is so popular.

I do not see Apple as a major threat. While they are certainly cutting edge, all they do is take up existing technology and make it sexy, then surround it in their walled garden. Major companies need to be cautious when customer services centric services like Google and Netflix partner up and provide services that customers will flock to.