timer priority

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by 4HiMarks, Dec 23, 2019.

1. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Is there a way to force a timer to give the Dish signal priority over OTA when the same sports program is available through both? Since installing my OTA module, my Hopper 3 tries to record many NFL games OTA instead of using the satellite-supplied version of the same game. There is one OTA station that has a messed up EPG, so the Hopper thinks it is showing the game when it actually isn't. It is very annoying when I turn on the TV to watch a game that started an hour or more ago from the beginning and it's not there.

I have started checking the day before, but sometimes I forget. With the playoffs coming up, teams are going to be playing on channels that don't normally carry them so it will be annoying to keep setting one-off timers instead of using Game Finder.

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I think the lack of responses means nobody else has an idea either, so I'll throw this out -
    either keep checking manually, or disconnect the OTA .

Is it possible you could take the offending OTA channel out of the "OTA stations I have in my Guide" and see what that does ?

3. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    Deleting the channel would work. On my 722K, I would hit Menu, 6 (System Setup), 9 (Local Channels), Hit the left arrow twice to get to the channel list, arrow down to the offending channel, and select Delete. I’m not sure if that is the same on the Hopper.

4. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    It all depends on how you create the timer.

I create my timers by paging ahead to the event on the channel I prefer and a click there creates a timer for that channel at the time in the guide. If the guide changes it could be a problem, but we have PTAT turned on so there is no need for timers for the 4 major nets. Any timers for other OTA channels are set up by channel not by program which could make the receiver "decide" which of the two programs that are the same to select.

If you set your timers by doing a search you probably create a seek timer that will find the show by its name regardless of the channel and it may default to OTA, who knows.

You can also go into the OTA channels list and deselect an ota channel so the receiver does not see it.

Another alternative would be to look at the guide and see which channel the receiver is expecting to record and if it is wrong, click on that program and skip that event on that channel, perhaps it will activate it on the sat channel.

5. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    The timer is created by search/seek (through Game Finder, I think) for "Washington Redskins" and "Baltimore Ravens".
    I can't deselect individual channels on the Hopper. It is all or none. Your final suggestions is what I have been doing, but if I forget, that's when it invariably tries to record on the channel that isn't actually even showing the game.

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Oh yes you can - under settings , select OTA Channels. You should see 2 columns - one column has IN GUIDE and the other has NOT In Guide. Highlight the channel to change status on, then press Select. Be sure to SAVE before you leave this screen.

7. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    If that completely removes the channel from timer consideration then it won't record even when that is the only channel the game is on, though, right?

I just want sat channels to take priority over OTA channels when there is duplication.

8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Sorry - there is no way to do what you're asking. BESIDES, assuming this on subchannel -01, it's guide should be the same one as on the sat channel (-00).

9. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    So why doesn't it offer a choice when I set the timer? Why would the DISH programmers decide that OTA is more important than sat anyway? You'd think sat channels would have priority since EVERYONE with a Hopper has those, and only some have OTA.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I have OTA in the guide and took a look at Game Finder. The -00 versions of the local channels were listed as the channel where the game was going to record. i'll check tomorrow to see if it actually records right (the timers say -00).

11. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The method you are using for setting your timers selects all channels to search, you must change your method to get only satellite channels to record.

You must select the game from the guide and click on it there and create the timer. That's how the Dish timers work.

12. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    It doesn't happen every week. That's the annoying part. It happens just enough that I can't count on it recording properly.

13. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I don't want ONLY sat channels to record. Sometimes the game is ONLY on OTA as I live in the intersection of two markets. I want sat channels to always take priority over OTA if both are available. As it is now, it seems random. Sometimes it picks one, sometimes another. I have no idea what logic it uses, but it doesn't seem right.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The error in your OTA guide seems to be a part of the problem. Without that error the receiver would see the program on both the via satellite and OTA version of the same channel and be able to choose the via satellite option.

I'd probably use the "record series" option. Choose a game on each local via satellite channel at the beginning of the year and "record series". The downside is that it will set every game to record, but having additional games to skip or delete is better than having missing games.