1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for Aligning an AU9 5 LNB Dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by hawkredtail, Dec 20, 2011.

1. hawkredtail

hawkredtail New Member

Dec 20, 2011
    The recent winds in northern California has moved my Directv Dish off alignment. I have an AU9, 5 LNB Dish. I was using my receiver to test my satellites to see what percent I have in alignment. While on my roof with no obstructions I was moving my dish and my wife would tell me the percent on the satellite. I first tried satellite 101 and got that to 87% then I went to 110 and it was at 75%,119 was at 60% and 99 was at 56% and 103 was at 42%. I then tried to align satellite 119. When I got that to about 90% all the others dropped off. Is there a tip or better way that I can align one satellite and the rest fall in? I tried the zip code in receiver to get the azmuth and tilt and that was not reliable as the dish has to be perfectly centered to get that rating. My dish is mounted on a eve mount-no holes through the roof! Any suggestions would be helpful. I was using my receiver as satellite alignment, but I could buy a satellite meter and try that if you suggest?
    Thanks for any input! I have an H22 HD IRD.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Sounds like your mast may not be plumb, but it still can be aligned.
    Start with 101 using the AZ & EL course adjusters.
    Check the 119 and use the tilt to peak it. recheck 101, which shouldn't have changed much.
    Once you've got 101 & 119 peaked, then shift to either 99 or 103 and use the fine tuning adjusters for the AZ & EL adjustments.
    If the dish isn't damaged/bent, you should now have good signal levels on all SATs.

3. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    Do you also have the two small stablizer arms attached to the main mast? if you do not, then you better get some as that will keep the mast from moving in the winds, that is what they were designed for.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    When you are aligning 101, you should be able to get to at or near 100% on most of the transponders. If you don't get to that sort of level, nothing else will be aligned correctly.