1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo and All American Direct distants

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Jon Ellis, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    So maybe I'm the only person alive with a TiVo and All American Direct distant networks...

This afternoon TiVo deleted all of the AAD channels (241-248) from the DISH lineup, rendering it impossible to record anything from those channels. The channels still exist, TiVo just doesn't know it. (My season passes want to remap to four-digit channel numbers for those channels, but they are for in-market customers only, not AAD customers.)

I've already filled out the missing channel form on TiVo's website, but I have to wonder... do they know something AAD's not telling us? Or did someone at TiVo just mess up? I hope the channels aren't going away. I'm a news guy and enjoy seeing the San Francisco and New York newscasts. Web streaming is not the same thing!

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There is an anniversary coming up ... I don't see any harm in AAD continuing on the DISH satellite. But that is space that could be used for something else.

3. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    I didn't know that Tivo could be used on Dish.

4. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Via IR control of a receiver. There is no Tivo that has a DISH Network satellite receiver integrated.

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Series 1 & 2 TiVo do support DISH in the IR mode. Series 3 and newer only support OTA and cable

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    TiVo Series 1 and 2 have composite/S-Sideo inputs so they can record SD from any source with either as an output.

TiVo Series 3 have only RF input (cable or OTA).

7. LazhilUT

LazhilUT AllStar

Mar 24, 2012
    Dumb question: What is the difference between Tivo and a DVR?

8. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Manufacturer.

9. LazhilUT

LazhilUT AllStar

Mar 24, 2012
    That's what I thought.

10. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Why pay fees to two different providers (TiVO & Dish) when a Dish DVR does it all on one bill? Also with a TiVO you are recording an analog signal and redigitizing it in the TiVO. That can't be good for picture quality.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Some people like the Tivo ... and having a recorder not tied to a company that makes their money off of program delivery means certain features are not disabled (such as editing and sharing content). Plus if you change providers your Tivo keeps working.

12. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    Yes, I am using a TiVo Series 2. Can't upgrade unless I drop satellite, which I'm not going to do. Like the last poster said, I like having a DVR independent of my provider in case I want to switch or move. Since I bought the TiVo nearly seven years ago I've lived in three different places and had various combinations of satellite, OTA, and cable.

I did get a reply from TiVo today saying they've fixed the issue and that I should be able to add the channels back on my channel list. However, the updates have not actually been made to the box. I'll keep watching...

13. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    How does a stand-alone TiVO get it's updates?

I like the fact that you can edit, I wish we could on our E* DVR's. You could save a lot more on an EHD if you could edit out the commercials.

14. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    The updates come in either via phone or internet if you have a wireless connector.

The update finally came through and my missing channels have been restored. However, it looks like I may have to re-do all of my season passes for those channels because they switched over to the non-existent four-digit channels when the real channels were deleted.

15. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    TiVo has an option of a lifetime subscription for about $400. If you go with Lifetime there is no monthly fees. Recording quality is quite good it is like the old VCRs where you can adjust recording speed I don't remember if it was 3 or 5 different speeds but depending on what is being recorded you could adjust how much hard drive space was used.:):):)

16. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Ask DISH they lost a lengthy law suit to TiVo for patent infringement. Dish stopped usage of 721/921 & 942 receivers modified all current DVRs software and paid a settlement.

17. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    It has been heard of that a TiVo subscriber calls in to cancel the account and is offered lifetime for $100.

I myself have been the beneficiary of such an offer.

I found my second HD TiVo for sale on CraigsList and contacted the seller about the subscription status.

He said it was monthly, but when he had called to cancel, was offered Lifetime for $100.

WELL!!! I jumped on that like a frog on a junebug and had him call TiVo and get the Lifetime for $100 then I paid him his price both for the TiVo and the Lifetime.

Got an HD TiVo for $150+$100 for lifetime - great deal, $250 for a Lifetime Hd Tivo.

Beats anything I saw on eBay at the time by $100.