TiVo Desktop for THR22 is now available

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by Stuart Sweet, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I've been told that TiVo Desktop has been updated to 2.8.3 and I am told this version now supports music and photo sharing to a THR22. It will not allow you to offload shows from a THR22.

Here's the download page: https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessories-software.do

When you install it, you must select the option to tell it you have a 2010 or later DIRECTV DVR.

2. SpewHole

SpewHole Mentor

Dec 8, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm interested, but I'm worried this might be bloatware. Do you know if the program keeps a "service" running in the background or if it adds an icon to the system tray? It seems redundant to have 'Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service' and this running at the same time in order to acheive the same basic function. It would have been nice if the THR-22 was compatible with WMPNSS without the need for an additional program.

At any rate, I already have the computer TOSLINK'ed into my audio receiver, and HDMI'd into the flat-screen, so the program will provide no new benefits for me.

Besides pictures and music access, are there any other benefits to installing the software? I will probably end up installing it just to have the function there, but then deactivate the service, prevent it from automatically starting up, and pretty much never use it.

3. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Yes on both counts.

To each their own, I found TiVo Desktop to be far more reliable than WMPNSS has ever been. :rolleyes:

~Alan

4. SpewHole

SpewHole Mentor

Dec 8, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for your advice. I probably will give it a try. Does Tivo Desktop add any other functions besides allowing you to view photos and music from your networked computers?

I noticed the manual shows some other features like Rhapsody, Podcaster, Live365...but it doesn't address how to access any of that. I'm assuming those are probably on the laundry list of non-supported apps.

5. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    From what those "in the know" have stated, it does not appear that the app adds anything other than photos and music (with the THR22).

~Alan

6. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Right. Those other features don't work with the THR22.

7. bghmsh

bghmsh New Member

Feb 9, 2012
    You might consider adding a little known (outside the tivo community) package of software In addition to the Tivo Desktop : Pytivo (using the McBrine Fork)

I have used it for years (with series 3 and newer HD Tivos) I have a 1.5 TB Drive I can access easily with much better performance. I found the Tivo software to be quite buggy

If you fancy some rudimentary drive allocating and directory craetion this may be for you

8. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't know if that would work with the thr22.