1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo has new local Dish Network lineups

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Maniacal1, May 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maniacal1

Maniacal1 Godfather/Supporter

Apr 9, 2002
    Since must-carry, TiVo has had one humongous lineup for its Dish Network customers. The lineup contains every single local that Dish Network offers and causes the TiVo to operate slowly because of the size of its listings. They had to do it this way because of Dish's policy to provide "unserved" customers of local-into-local with any two cities of their choice from the distants that Dish Network offered.

Now that all customers are restricted to only 6 cities as distant locals, TiVo can and has created local lineups for each city in which it offers local networks. These lineups also contain the distant locals from the six available cities.

If you are using a standalone TiVo with Dish Network with locals, switching to the new local lineup will speed up your TiVo's processing in a very noticeable way. You can run TiVo's Guided Setup to access the new lineups. (And the full, national lineup with all locals will be going away in a couple of weeks.)

Be aware that the new lineups are not perfect. The PBS affiliates from the distant cities aren't listed yet, and the superstations are only listed at their old channel numbers (in the 230 range). These problems should be corrected before too long.

2. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Thanks for that update! It us unbearable to go through guided setup with all the channels! When I select "Remove all Channels" the majority are still selected as channels I received. If you delete them all manually, Tivo, for some reason, doesn't save the changes. You have to delete about 100 at a time, save your changes then delete more. Takes over a half hour just to tell Tivo which channels I get. This should make that task more bearable.

3. andyf

andyf Mentor

Apr 23, 2002
  4. kstuart

kstuart Icon

Apr 25, 2002
    Andy, your post was less detailed than Maniacal1's post. For example, you said that the Superstations are missing, not that they are only missing in the four-digit locals section...

5. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    I don't have a Tivo so it didnt effect me at all. :)

Thanks Andy and Maniacal1 for the information. It IS appreciated!

6. andyf

andyf Mentor

Apr 23, 2002
    Oops! Did I miss off the smiley. :)

7. Maniacal1

Maniacal1 Godfather/Supporter

Apr 9, 2002
    Andy, sorry I didn't notice your post when I passed along the information. I should have searched harder. At least here, I wasn't sent to the corner for a week. :)

Andy and I have both been working with TiVo to resolve the lineup problems. And I appreciate his efforts.

8. andyf

andyf Mentor

Apr 23, 2002
    I really was kidding.... as long as the word gets out, it doesn't matter who gets it out.

Turns out Detroit, MI may not have local headends according to one user who re-tried Guide Setup. He/She only sees the USA or the temporary lineup. Trying to find out what's up with that.

9. kstuart

kstuart Icon

Apr 25, 2002
    What happens if one is still using the national lineup at that point? Do you find when you want to use your TiVo, that it says "you must rerun Guided Setup"??

10. andyf

andyf Mentor

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm guessing here but with information based on other posts.

It'll be like a cable headend change.

1. With 2.5 you'll lose all Season Passes.
    2. With 3.0 your Season Passes will go inactive.
    3. Daily calls will succeed but you'll notice your guide data look ahead get shorter and shorter until it starts nagging you, then you'll have no guide data.

No warning, no error message.

However, I'm not sure TiVo would do that, surely a PTCM to warn you in advance?

11. joblo

joblo Guest

Ahem… reality check… there are still over 170 DMAs where E* does NOT provide locals.

Therefore, the national lineup will NOT go away any time soon.

Your local channels may disappear, resulting in missed recordings on those channels, but you certainly are not going to run out of guide data.

Assuming, of course, that the folks at Tribune/Replay/Tivo handle things intelligently… ;)

12. andyf

andyf Mentor

Apr 23, 2002
    It's already been stated by TiVo that the National Dish lineup will be going away in the next 30 days.

When we talk about the National lineup, we talk from a Dish perspective. If they don't provide locals in 170 DMAs that's irrelavent. We're talking about providing a lineup for all the channels Dish does provide access to.

13. joblo

joblo Guest

If, by “a lineup for all the channels Dish does provide access to”, you mean all the channels a pirate might get if he could somehow build a switch and fiber network to combine the signals from every spotbeam in the country, then yes, I expect said pirate will be out of luck at some point in the not too distant future.

But if you mean the lineup that both Replay and TiVo (I have both, btw) identify as “National”, that lineup, from a Replay/TiVo perspective, cannot “go away” unless and until every zip code is assigned at least one “local” lineup. While I have seen some zips where TiVo provides local lineups that could only benefit those with bogus service addresses, there are still, as of this writing, other zips where only the “National” and “no locals (Temporary)” lineup are available.

Therefore, what is likely to happen is that the national lineup will be “pruned” to be the intersection of all local lineups, i.e. including national services plus local network channels from the six cities nationally available. This will be a change within the existing lineup, not “like a cable headend change”.

While it is possible that the pruned “National” lineup could be removed from those zip codes that have local lineups available, that would come under the heading of non-intelligent behavior. The obvious purpose of this change to eliminate the network costs incurred by Replay and TiVo in distributing hundreds of channels of useless listings to thousands of subscribers on a daily basis. Eliminating the “National” lineup in any given area wouldn’t further that end, and would thus unnecessarily inconvenience customers.

Please keep in mind also that since the lineups are common to Replay and TiVo, they are obviously being created and maintained by Tribune Media Services, the company that provides listings for Replay, TiVo, and Zap2it.com, so statements “by TiVo” about lineup changes are not necessarily as authoritative as you might expect.

14. jwagner

jwagner New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Does anyone have an update on this?

I have the AT150, Detroit locals, superstations and East/West nets (via an RV exemption).

I have not yet re-run setup based on the comments I saw here and in the TiVo Community forum regarding the Detroit headend and the Superstaions package in the 8xxx's not in the lineup yet.

So far, I still have plenty of guide data...

15. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I just redid Guided Setup this weekend. What a waste of time! The only additional city listed was Denver. Currently, with Dish on a SA Tivo, you get either w/o locals, national, Salt Lake or Denver. I was extremely disappointed. I have Dallas/Denver & Supers. Had to leave it w/National to get my chans. For now, if it works, don't do anything until TIVO sends you a message.

16. andyf

andyf Mentor

Apr 23, 2002
    Do you get all the Dallas locals or just the big four networks.

17. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I chose the National Lineup because I didn't want to go through the entire process again if the few options available did not include the stations I receive. I only saw SLC & DEN as well as National or "No Locals".

Now that I think about your question...are you asking do I receive more with the Dish??? Yes, I am. I get the Big Four, PBS, UPN, WB, and one independant (KDFI). I've also repointed my dish, temporarily, and picked up the other stations sitting at 148. With Denver, I am not getting UPN, already had WB (KWGN on Supers), but do get PBS.

18. andyf

andyf Mentor

Apr 23, 2002
    Oh! The reason I asked was because the local Dish headends are only designed to offer locals based on the zip code you entered. This is so you don't have unneccessary channels in your lineup. Each local headend also contains the big 4 networks for all the possible 6 distant nets. The Superstations are also there on their 3 digit channel numbers. Working on getting the 4 digit channels added.

You seem to get more channels so this doesn't work in your case.

However the local headends do speed TiVos processing and gets around the too many channels bug.

19. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Do you, or a friend work for TIVO?

20. andyf

andyf Mentor

Apr 23, 2002
    No. EMail contact only. But I'm flying out to the TiVo picnic on the 15th. Hoping to meet a whole bunch of people I only know through EMail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.