Tivo HD DVR - what is the model I will get from DirecTv?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by J Blow, May 12, 2011.

1. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    On the DirecTV site I can add a Tivo HD DVR to my cart for $99. Any ideas what model I will get. I'm clueless about Tivo and can't seem to find it on here anywhere.

Also, it says $5 for Tivo fee....is this in addition to the fees I already pay for DVR service? Would that be per Tivo or what happens if I swap out my other DVRs? Does that fee go away? Then of course there is the additional leased receiver fee. These guys really get ya coming and going!

2. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    I also see this is $99 instead of the normal $199 like the regular HD DVR. Also, it has the letters FPO over the picture of the unit. What does that mean? It has a symbol next to it that says "special offer for valued customers". LOL - good one....'we will let you buy something that isn't yours!'

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Where did you see that? Directv does not currently offer any Tivo-based receivers. Possibly their web site has some outdated pages referring to the HR10-250, which was discontinued several years ago and is incompatible with the satellites currently used for HD. Supposedly there will be a new Tivo model introduced in the future, but it has been delayed several times so far (vaporware?)

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Can you take a screen shot? I just tried adding a HD DVR and it's $150 and no Tivo in sight.

5. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    I took a screen shot but I'm not sure how to get it posted here. I just ordered it, though - $105 with taxes.

Here is what it said after I went through the checkout -

Services & Fees: Pending Activation
    TiVo Service $5.00
    Receiver Lease Fee $6.00
    Receivers & Equipment
    TiVo HD-DVR from DIRECTV $99.00
    Shipping & Handling Free
    Tax: $5.94
    Total:

$104.94

6. ShapeGSX

ShapeGSX Godfather

Sep 17, 2006
    The Tivos are not MPEG4 capable. Only MPEG2. You are going to be missing a lot of channels with that thing.

7. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    Here is a screenshot from my cart before I checked out. After I checked out the Tivo option is now gone for me, too. Weird.

Attached Files:

• tivo.JPG
      tivo.JPG
      File size:
      77 KB
      Views:
  8. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    So what is the model number and why would they even sell it to me then?

9. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    I believe the supposition is that this is the new MPEG4 DirecTiVo that has apparently been in beta testing for most of the last year or so.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    FPO is a term used by designers to indicate "For Position Only." In other words, not a final graphic. I suspect someone made a page live without meaning to. I don't know what the pricing will be on the TiVo, or if that's an accurate representation in any way.

11. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    Not sure I really understand what I just ordered then....:lol:

12. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If it wasn't really a "for sale" item, odds are it will be credited back to your account in short order .. Interesting find if it's the real deal, though.

13. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I don't think anyone here is! :confused:

I went to the website and couldn't find that at all. Where did you originally find it? Under your equipment page along with all the other Add HD-DVR, Add HD Receiver, etc?

14. Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    It shows as available under the My Equipment tab on my account page too. I have no desire to order it, however, so I won't be testing that process to see what would happen.

Attached Files:

15. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    I guess there are two of us 'valued customers' now! I'm hoping this is some reward for being an 'unvalued customer' since 1996. It's only right since I've been getting the green weenie a decade and a half now.

16. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Doesn't show up for me .. (under My Equipment) .. Guess I'm not valued .. :p

17. Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    You probably already have one! :lol:

18. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    No, no plans for TiVo .. I prefer the HD DVR. I definitely do not have one now and have never had one of the new ones. I did have a number of the older models, though.

19. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    It shows up on my account! I think I'll wait until the dust settles out to make a decision on it though.

EDIT: It looks like it really doesn't do anything that my HR's can't already do and I have to pay $5 more per month. :nono2:

Here's the description of it:

Snap3.jpg

20. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    At the time I hated the new DirecTv version compared to Tivo but I think it's a matter of what you get used to. In fact, at one time I hated the Tivo version compared to Ultimate TV. I loved Ultimate TV and had multiple versions of the RCA and Sony models.

I have a bad feeling for $100 they are going to send me a GXCEBOT or whatever that thing is I have right now and have no use for.