Tivo missed the streaming boat? No app development, no roku mini

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by 1948GG, Dec 19, 2019.

1. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Well, it's been a year since tivo debuted the Edge dvr (cable plus antenna versions) with minimal streaming apps (netflix, hulu, prime) and a replacement for the mini on the form of a roku app. Fast forward to today.

No real development on the roku 'mini' app. The only Edge app of any note is locast, no live streaming services like youtube tv, hulu live, comcast stream, or any others. The press is filled with doom and gloom on both the current state and short/long term future of the platform. A year ago, it appeared like they were on the cusp of having a revolutionary product, and even a year later with no new developments, there is no competition on the horizon.

20 years ago, living in the 'valley', I did a fair piece if development work on some of the original dvr systems hardware and software. It appeared at times that tivo would be squashed by the likes of Microsoft and others in the nascent dvr world, but they managed to hang in there and a couple years later 'TiVo' became a verb. Massive licensing of many of their developments to cable and satellite dvr boxes led to their parking lot resembling a Porsche, Benz, and Audi dealership.

With this last years failure, have they lost it? Do they think network dvr systems from the streaming services are sufficient? What's with this advert dvr insertion scheme? I don't get it. Again, right on the cusp of as revolutionary product as those 1999 DVR's were and... nothing? I don't get it.

2. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    I think the function is moving upstream to the network. My current experience with YTTV’s cloud DVR is very good. FF/REW and fast “scrubbing” thru content is fast, fluid, and accurate. 9 month content retention and unlimited storage is great. Unless something changes I would never go back to having in house DVR’s (I’ve had many over the years including TiVo’s). Who wants to have a box that you have to upgrade, manage, replace due to failure, and worry about running out of space. Many people still want the in house box for many different reasons but for lots of folks that time has passed.

3. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    Understand the benefits of could dvr but Ive had more internet outages than plain power failures over the last several years. At least at home DVR allows me to watch recordings when no internet. There are always trade offs

4. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Yeah no doubt cloud DVR makes you dependent on a good, fast, reliable internet connection and not everyone has that luxury. Thankfully my net connection has only gone out twice in the last several years and only for short times. It won’t work for everyone but when my regular net connection has gone out I have been able to just use my phone hotspot and it has worked very well...honestly couldn’t even tell the difference. Don’t want to use it too long or too often due to data caps on my phone plan (my regular ISP doesn’t have data caps) but it worked fine in a pinch.

5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    The Edge was only debuted/released a couple of months ago

6. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    My answer... Who is going to spend $350 on a DVR? They missed the market completely. It's too expensive. This may have been great hardware in 2012, but 2019?

TiVo Edge review: A once-great DVR in decline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Somewhat good points all, but....

Relying on the included dvr's of the streaming services may be okay for some, but many of them have restrictions and built in problems (commonly known as bugs) and look at the market for ota boxes, very robust. But lots of folks, even those within the urban areas, have poor reception or are unable to install deep fringe antenna arrays to pull in the increasingly weak broadcast stations.

Cost? Again, not that much above those ota boxes and far more flexible. Weeks away from the 2020 shows, we will shortly see if they or anyone else rolls out any solutions.

8. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
  9. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    We may (heavy emphasis on the 'may') get some hint at the CES show. Generally, such mergers mean a stutter step in future development, an as I pointed out, many good trends both in product lines and focus appear to have been stalled in mid-stride this past year, very reminiscent of the pause when the company went public, which resulted in a severe loss of focus but where 'new blood' in the form of independent contracting engineers and companies were brought in. My company was already there previously, but greatly expanded it's participation during this period.

Unknown as to whether or not the current management or what it may look like after this merger can refocus on the task at hand, or a splinter group is successful at splitting off an over the top roadmap of products while the original company gets swallowed up by corporate politics.