1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo released only after HD GUI ready?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by ukor, Dec 10, 2011.

1. ukor

ukor Mentor

Dec 17, 2006
    Is the timing of these two releases a simple coincidence or intentional? It is hard to imagine it would take that long to port a piece of software that is basically unchanged from the previous version.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You should realize first - those are two from DIFFERENT companies !

3. ukor

ukor Mentor

Dec 17, 2006
    I do know that and what difference does that make? DTV controls what runs or doesn't run on their boxes. It was a curious observation. Probably nothing to it, but still curious.

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    DirecTV gave TiVo hardware for development back when the HR22 was the newest DirecTV DVR. Tivo took their time working on the software. In that same time DirecTV came out with the HR23, HR24, HR34 and as you pointed out the HD GUI. The delay of the TiVo unit was not intentional on DirecTV's part.

Now that their is a foundation laid on the new hardware who knows. There could be updates right around the corner.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You may think the software is the same, but I am positive it is massively different. While its look and feel is the same, internally there is a ton of things that are different.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to release the hr34 at the same time if they realized that they could both launch within say a month or even two of each other, but there is zero chance you would ever convince me they held TiVo back. I think if anything, they have pushed the hr34 to market a little early. TiVo just took forever to get their product to market. But the hdgui? I'd say over 90 percent of all directv subs still have the old GUI, and many won't be getting it till sometime next year, so that argument really doesn't work. If they where holding TiVo back for that, they would have waited till the hdgui had rolled out to everyone.

6. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    I also think we've seen 3 different iPhone models, an explosion in the tablet market and 4 major revisions of the android os since TiVo's DirecTV announcement. Obviously the people at TiVo are short staffed or sidetracked on other things to the point that this project was put on the back burner.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The timing is coincidental. Two teams working in two different companies with no formal contact between the two.

8. ukor

ukor Mentor

Dec 17, 2006
    Again, I understand they are a two different companies, two different development teams, and two different products with completely different code bases.

They are however similar interfaces and it is not out of the realm of possibility that DirecTV would not want a Tivo interface released that was superior in respects to there existing interface.

There are Tivo features that DirecTV won't allow on the version that runs on their hardware for their subscribers, so obviously there are business considerations at work here.

I would agree that Tivo has been busy with other initiatives, so it is just as likely that they were focused on efforts. Three years or however long it has been since the hardware became available is a long time in the software development cycle.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    If you imagine handful number of ppl works for it ...

10. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    It really is coincidental. It could make for some interesting theories though. :)

Mike

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    TiVo is not a superior interface at all. Not even close. I have a hard time saying they are even in the same leagues, and I am not even counting how much more. Advanced the directv one will be once the hd GUI rolls out. They are simply different, with different philosophies. And there is zero chance that a vast majority of people will want to switch to a TiVo that can't do whdvr. Even if they did though, why would directv care one bit. From a money standpoint, they make the same amount if you get. A directv dvr or a TiVo dvr, so it really doesn't matter. In fact, it's entirely possible they will actually get more money for a TiVo, if they get a small cut of the extra 5 a month for tivos.

And as for the features directv won't allow, of course they aren't going to allow Netflix streaming, etc. that would be in conflict with directv cinema. As for them taking so long, that's in line with their inability to get an product tot the market on time and fully up and running.

With that said, hey, the new TiVo is a fantastic device for those that want them, and competition of any kind is always good for driving more innovation.

But I just don't see anyway possible that anyone cold actually say that directv made TiVo wait till they launched their new stuff.