1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by westview, Feb 29, 2012.

1. westview

westview Mentor

Dec 27, 2011
    What does Tivo do that is better than a DVR?

2. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Tivo is a DVR.

3. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I think the OP means "better than an HR series DVR".

I think it's really a matter of personal opinion and which interface you like better. The TiVo can record things based on what it thinks you "like" but I think that's really all it can do that the HR series can't.

There's quite a bit more the new TiVo CAN'T do that the HR series can and that, I think, is quite a drawback.

4. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Tivo is an interface, a way to work a DVR.

Some people like the way an Apple computer works more than one which uses Windows.

It's like that.

Is it better? Now that's a matter of opinion.

5. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
  6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Unlimited season passes (series links), swivel search, ability to use IR and RF remote at the same time, smoother 1x trickplay, and OTA channel scanning.

7. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Damn, I knew I was forgetting something! :lol:

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    SOme people like Mac's some prefer pc's..there are a few functional differences as pointed out above...most of the difference is preferences, some people just have to have that Tivo interface. some of us think it sux....:lol:

9. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    But hey, different strokes for different folks. I think it's great you can get both.

10. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I doubt that Tivo can do "smoother 1x trickplay" or more accurately FFWDx1 at 30 fps with MPEG-4 content, as the reason it is not smooth in the HR series is primarily a limitation of MPEG-4 itself.

On the other hand, I hope that they can prove me wrong on that count; it really depends on whether the decoder chip has improved enough, so we can't rule that out technically, and at some point the newer DVRs will indeed be able to handle MPEG-4 more smoothly, at lease we can hope.

But the older HR10-250 at least had a time bar backdoor that would allow clearing the time bar on pause or play in half a second, which is very nice and convenient.

Tivo also does not use the "press and hold" approach to slomo, but a dedicated button making it much more elegant than on the HRs.

Tivo has always had pretty good reliability comparatively speaking. I would use the term "rock solid" if not for their gigantic stumble with v6.x, which was not at all stable for some time and never really regained the stability level of 3.1.5. after 5 up revs attempted that. Even with that hanging over them, it was rare to miss a recording or lose a recording on Tivo. That used to be the case with the HR series from about 2008 to 2010, but they have broken that and are not as reliable in that regard as they once were.

I always liked the fact that search and SPs based on search were done better on Tivo; I miss that. Tivo also has the fuzzy logic "suggestions", but the system seems to run better without suggestions or thumb ratings; sonce they add little user friendliness it is better to not use those features in my experience.

Tivo has no PIG, which to me is a huge advantage; I hate the intrusiveness of the PIG on the HRs. Not sure about the new DTivo in that regard.

But (and I know this is a separate thread issue) the HRs seem to have a lot of unique advantages of their own, including automatic same-channel or 1-tuner padding, which is a deal-breaker for me (won't buy a DVR without that). It used to take anywhere from 12 to 20 button presses to turn on CC or turn it back off on Tivo.

11. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    In many ways that is an acceptable analogy, but I take issue comparing Tivo or the HRs to Macs, as that really lowers the level of respect that Macs and other Apple products deserve. They should not be diminished by such a comparison. Even Tivo is no Apple, which is the highest-valued company for a very good reason. Right, all you haters? :D

And yes, once you get used to the HR, it does seem that certain aspects of the Tivo approach do suck by comparison, IMHO.

12. dwneylonsr

dwneylonsr Cool Member

Jun 15, 2007
    My main issued with the DirecTv Tivos is the incompatibility with Whole Home.

13. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Had I not seen it myself I'd be as skeptical as you.

14. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    What about us Linux guys?

15. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    That's very cool, Stu. For once I am starting to finally have some interest in the new DTivo if it can do that. Are we talking full blown AVC the way DTV encodes it or smaller H.264 files from youtube?

16. gomezma1

gomezma1 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    Does it need to be connected to a phone line like the old Hughes 40 hour dvr's? Also is it SWM capable?

17. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    1. No.
    2. Yes.

18. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    Never had the question from my lovely wife, "Why is it doing that?" regarding all the glitches on the HR units. TiVo just works all the time every time.

19. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    No, it doesn't and you just refuse to admit it. You're the only long time Tivo owner who's NEVER had a Tivo freeze.

20. Caromsoft

Caromsoft Mentor

Jul 17, 2010
    1) PC
    2) Apple
    3) Misc

You fall into category #3 ;)