Tmobile launches "Directv via IP" competitor

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by slice1900, Apr 10, 2019.

1. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Tmobile has launched "Tvision", which looks like a pretty complete lineup for $90 a month, plus $10 per connected TV, which includes a whole home DVR. They are targeting satellite customers - they will pay off ETFs up to $500 for Directv/Dish subscribers.

So sounds like the high end streaming MVPD competition to Directv's upcoming IP product, with the main difference being that it uses an in-home DVR instead of a cloud DVR like Directv's offering will. I'm skeptical of the success of this at that price. Why would you get that instead of Directv/Dish, unless you have rock solid broadband and rain fade really pisses you off?

T-Mobile launches TVision cable TV service priced at $90/month

2. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, this is basically just a rebranding of the Layer3 TV service that T-Mo bought awhile back. They've applied some hot pink to the UI and slapped a new name on it but I think it's otherwise pretty much the same, which is kind of underwhelming.

I'd say the big thing that TVision has going for it over DirecTV or Dish is a box that's more advanced in some ways; it has individual user profiles and is supposed to learn your viewing preferences over time. Not sure how big a deal that latter feature is, but having separate profiles is nice for a family. Apps for Netflix, Prime Video, etc. are supposed to arrive on the box "soon". Also, for better or worse, TVision doesn't play games with contracts, promo pricing, etc. (although, as you point out, they do offer an up-front $500 cash card for those stuck in a satellite contract to cover their ETFs). Some consumers prefer that approach. [Edit: Layer3 TV has also been known for very good HD PQ, as good or better than DTV. It also supports 4K HDR, although I don't know if they offer as much quality content in that format as DTV.]

On the downside, TVision doesn't offer different channel package tiers, which seems crazy to me. The trend in cable TV is absolutely toward offering consumers fewer channels for less money, if that's what they want. DTV and Dish offer multiple packages at different price points but TVision offers just one package (plus a la carte premiums, of course).

I don't think this service is regular OTT like, say, DTV Now, Netflix, etc. It's only offered in places where T-Mo has struck deals with the local broadband providers to provision the service over their connections (which is the same way Layer3 TV has always operated). Not sure if it counts against your broadband data cap or not. But that kind of cooperation probably means more reliable performance.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  3. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I saw an article about it elsewhere, it is claimed to be "box free" (if so what do they call that DVR and how do you connect additional TVs?) and that you don't pay for channels you don't want (but I haven't seen any evidence there are lower tier packages offered, though maybe they are coming)

Seems they could have done a better job with the rollout, if there are lower price points they seem to have hidden that fact quite well so far!

4. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    and how long will Comcast put up with that cooperation? / give them cap free vs driving to people Comcast cable tv / X1?

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The PS Vue cable replacement service can be used on Apple TV boxes. You don't need a dedicated box to use it or its DVR function. I'd think the new service would function in the same manner. How do you connect ATVs to each other? Pretty simple, you buy as many as you need and plug them in, activate them and put PS Vue on each one. Pretty simple, no?

Rich

mjwagner likes this.
  6. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Sounds like its pretty much the same price as cable, if not more, so what's the point?

7. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Using your own box isn't "box free" any more than Directv lets you "say goodbye to messy cable wires" with a wireless client :D

8. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Wait, what...

The company had been selling Layer3 TV service in its stores since last year, with prices set at $99.99 or $79.99 for T-Mobile wireless subscribers. TVision also will include a $9.99 per month discount for T-Mobile wireless subscribers but the company said that discount will extend to everyone for a limited time.

Isn't $99.99 - $79.99 = $20 discount? Where does the $9.99 discount come in?

9. NashGuy

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Sounds like the regular price for Layer3 TV was $100 but only $80 for T-Mo customers. And the regular price for TVision is $90 but only $80 for T-Mo customers. That said, there's a $10 per box/TV charge for TVision on top of the $90/$80 monthly price, which apparently does not include the first box.

10. wxman2003

wxman2003 New Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Doesn't seem like much of a deal. $90 (+$10 for box) for 150 channels with premium add ons. So IOW, you pay extra for HBO, Showtime, etc. Heck, you can get the same thing via DirecTV satellite with ESPN for $80 to $85 a month with box or dvr.

11. NashGuy

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, that's not what this is. This is basically a full-scale traditional TV service (with local recording on a 1 TB hard drive in the DVR) that requires use of their own STB.

T-Mo did say today, though, that they're still working on a mobile-centric OTT TV service that will roll out later this year. I guess that will be a skinnier package with cloud DVR for use on a range of devices, more like DTV Now. Perhaps when that becomes available, they'll also provision that cheaper service on the TVision boxes (with a $10/box/month fee) for those customers who want that.

It sort of looks like T-Mobile is heading in the same direction as DirecTV as both move towards various internet-delivered TV services covering the traditional higher end and the skinnier, mobile-centric lower end.

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I didn't say anything was "box free". Did you not understand what was in my post?

13. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    I feel like this is going to bomb very big-gly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    So it IS like "DIRECTV over IP" in how the initial introduction was done poorly. :)

Here is the news release: Meet T-Mobile TVision Home: BS-Free TV That Learns You

TVision Home will be available on April 14 in T-Mobile stores and online in Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Washington DC metro areas, as well as Longmont CO. For more information, visit www.tvision.com and follow @TVision on Twitter.

15. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    T-Mobile usually knocks it out of the park on begin disruptive. This offering is hard to get excited about. I also read that mobile devices will allow you to watch in-home. I'm confused, but patiently waiting.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'm trying not to let the FierceVideo article influence my opinion of the service too heavily. The better source is TMobile's press release and the service's website ... The release date is Sunday.

17. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    “Box free” to me means I just use the streaming box I already have connected to every tv I own. Using a separate provider specific “box” for any new service vs just loading an app on the box I already have is not something I would ever accept. If you want to provide a superior experience and differentiate your service do it in the app and in the “cloud”, don’t make me install a provider or service specific “box”. That just seems like “old” technology to me...but that’s JMHO.

18. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    the tv market is hard and you need to priced like that to have a good line up with locals and rsn's.

but what is missing from the lists for the ott tv is if they have Comcast / Nbc SportsNet Chicago Plus 2

the t-Mobile site still has the old comcast SportsNet Chicago name.

But price stays the same for how long??

19. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Its going to be a blood bath of competing streaming services. All the more reason DTV satellite service should be focusing heavily on it’s services and let the streaming services duke it out. Instead we get mixed signals from ATT

20. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Well 'Directv over IP' still hasn't been announced, they just snuck in some satellite style packages to the Directv Now product and confused everyone. So Directv still has a chance to not bungle that announcement, though we all know they probably will.

One thing I wonder about the offer to pay off your ETF, they talk about "freedom"....so would they really pay off your ETF without incurring a contract/commitment to T-mobile? If they don't, it would be a great way for people to drop Directv/Dish even if they only one to switch from one to the other, or to cable!