1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TNT-HD On DirecTV???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by elguevon, May 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elguevon

elguevon Cool Member

May 20, 2004
    I'm reading posts everywhere that the Dish Network will be carrying TNT-HD starting tomorrow (Friday, May 21st). I have been able to find NOTHING about DirecTV carrying TNT-HD. I WANT TO WATCH THE NBA WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS IN HD!!!!

Anybody have ANY information whether DirecTV will carry TNT-HD starting tomorrow or within the next few days?? I loath the day E* launches anything ahead of DirecTV...I'll be VERY disappointed in DirecTV if this is the case. I can almost hear the answer "not until June/July when our new satellite is ready".

Any insight would be appreciated!

2. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Hi elguevon and welcome to DBSTalk.Com! :welcome_s

No news yet. DirecTV keeps pretty tight lipped about new channels.

3. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    Voom appears to have announced it too.

4. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    Unfortunately, I doubt DirecTV will have it within the next week. They will probably add it within the next month, but their satellite still isn't quite ready with every set to go yet.

5. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    I suspect that DirecTV cannot add TNT-HD until it gets 7S and all of those locals up and running, which is the month of June (at least).

Which should put it on pace for a launch just as NASCAR moves to TNT. Which is fine with me.

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    If they wanted to be nice they could always throw it up on the special events HD channel, forgetting about special events, until 7S is going and the clear off some stuff from 101.

7. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    I suspect DirecTV will pick TNT-HD by mid summer or so. they must find someway to make it to 15-20 HD channels by year end.

8. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    Do you think they will increase the price of the HD Pak when they do add this channel?

9. elguevon

elguevon Cool Member

May 20, 2004
    I wish they would at least broadcast the NBA Western Conference Finals. I don't know how many NORMAL sat channels is requires to makeup 1 HD channel, but I can't imagine that it isn't technically possible. Use the HDPPV for a few hours or the bandwidth you got reservered for the NFL/NHL..you are not using them! C'Mon DirecTV, do something for the customer for a change instead of always thinking about revenvue!

10. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    The Western Conference Finals will NOT be on DirecTV tonight in HD. They are working on getting the other games and will probably air them on channel 84.

11. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    And remember guys, DirecTV can't just put on any old game they want. There is a thing called contracts and such. Normally probably easy to make, however seeing as D* can't put the whole channel up yet maybe there was a snag with TNT to get the games for the special events channel. Who knows.

12. elguevon

elguevon Cool Member

May 20, 2004
    ...and they will probably make it PPV. :) Gotta love DirecTV. :lol:

13. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Special Events channel isn't PPV.

14. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    OK, after being force fed cow pucks by the Charlie haters for the last six months over the HD hardware availability and stability, retrans agreements, and various other headaches, we E* subscribers now have 61 Sirius audio channels and now TNT-HD. OK, ANYBODY who switched from E* to D* getting buyer's remorse yet?

Sorry, didn't mean to be a jerk...... It's just nice to be the gloater for once instead of the gloatee (is that even a word?).......

15. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Doesn't matter how many channels of what they have if you have crappy hardware to watch it on.

And can someone please tell me what was 'compelling' about TNT-HD content that Charlie felt that this was the channel that he needed to add and none of the other HD channels that are currently available and not carried?

16. John Quaglino

John Quaglino AllStar

Aug 5, 2003
    As a recent convert, I will not gloat about a beautiful picture or how great Tivo is because in my opinion neither of these are really that true. Picture is pretty comparable. I feel Dish's HD is a little better. I dropped the 921 for an SDTivo. Just not enough HD for me to have that much invested in either's first generation product. The biggest problem I've had with Dish was the bald face lies Dish has been telling. I no longer have confidence in them as a company or a believe they have a stategic vision(What the hell is up with the 942. Just get a 942 out ASAP so DirecTivo HD doesn't whipe the floor clean with you).

I do miss Dish's guide, browsing, and my 921. But, hey it is just television. I'm sure we will have TNT-HD once 7S is placed in service.

17. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    I know..... I'm just funning ya...... Gotta let me celebrate these little victories when I can as D* as been executing better than E* the last six months before this week gave us a few things to crow about.....

18. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    I don't know if "crappy" is the right word.... My 921 reboots 3 or 4 times a week, but otherwise it works fine for me, and the quicker guide, caller id, auto-tune, and lower HD compression make it better for me than comparable units on the other side of the fence to go along with the extra movie channels I get.

As for TNT, I'm sure part of the retrans agreement with Time Warner was devoted to them carrying the channel (much like NickToons was forced down their throats).

19. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    You deserve to gloat a little Bob. It's been a good week (programming wise) for E*.

BTW: No buyer's remorse here. :)

20. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    No. It's already $1 more than DISH Network's HD pack and DISH does not seem to be raising their price due to TNT.

Kind of interesting though: Anyone with an HD receiver can pay $15 per month for the HD pack and service fee, and get ESPN and TNT, which normally require the $25 AT package. I guess it would be wise to do that if the ONLY thing you watch is ESPN and TNT (and the other ones as well).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.