1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TNTHD Stretched very strangely tonight

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Stewart Vernon, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I know it can't just be me... During the current game (Phoenix vs Utah) the picture is stretched very strangely... People look ok in the middle of the screen, but they get short and fat towards the left or right-hand side.

Same was true during the halftime studio show.

Looks like it isn't HD but rather their non-HD-stretch-o-vision... which is weird, since TNTHD usually always has NBA games in HD.

Anyone know what's up?

FYI, this is the only channel exhibiting the weirdness... so I know it isn't me or my set.

2. wyattg

wyattg Cool Member

Feb 22, 2006
    I noticed the same thing. It almost made me queezy<sp>. I think it was set to anamorphic or something. Wonder if they were having issues with their HD equipment?

3. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That was my guess. Sometime a year or so ago they had problems one night with their HD transmission... but they made a point of talking about it on the air and letting folks know. Maybe they said something before the game started tonight and I just missed it. Last time I watched TNTHD was last Thursday for the NBA games and everything was fine then... so maybe tonight was just a one night glitch.

4. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I saw a post from someone with D* (not E*). He stated game started in HD, but had no sound, picture went off for several second, came back as stretched SD with the audio and stayed that way for rest of the game. I cannot verify his statement.

5. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    I thought it looked odd too but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

6. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    At times, TNTHD does some very strange things with their picture to fill a 16:9 screen. As Kelly pointed out, sometimes it is hard to put you finger on what they are doing but it doesn't look right. As more and more SD stations have both HD and SD feeds I afraid that we are going to see more of this "problem".

7. MarkoC

MarkoC AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 5, 2004
    I didn't think it looked like HD on either my 942 or 622. It was pretty noticeable because TNT basketball normally has great PQ.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

8. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    The dead giveaway is when the basketball starts to look like a football.

..Doyle

9. AcuraCL

AcuraCL Godfather

Dec 12, 2005
    My tv has a stretch mode like this (I think it's called "Just") ... it's meant to fool the eye into thinking the picture isn't stretched by maintaining the AR in the center. It really works badly when there is a lot of camera panning though.

10. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, the panning was the weirdest.... sometimes it looked like players were growing a beak right there on screen!

Hopefully this was just a glitch for TNT... Usually their NBA games are nice HD. Stretch-o-vision is noticably worse on a live event like that.

11. mikei182

mikei182 New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Also on TNTHD last night I was watching X Files, and the sound was 180 out. In other words, the dialouge was coming from the surround speakers, and vice versa.

It was fine on the SD version of TNT.

Checked this morning, and all was well again. ???

12. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    I noticed the same problem over the weekend watching a movie, I thought it was my TV setting, but it was not. I played with the TV settings (Just, Zoom, Normal) and it was not the TV. It looked fine when I was on Just or Zoom because it truncated the ends, where the problem was.

I think the problem with TNTHD is that everything is transmitted to fill the screen even f it is not HD. So some times it messes up.

Still NOT GOOD

13. daleles

daleles AllStar

Jul 2, 2005
    Yes I noticed it too. Not only in the first game but the second game and during the pre-game, halftime studio shots as well. It's like they took a regular 4:3 image, cropped it from top to bottom and stretched both ends to make a 16:9 image.

daleles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.