1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TNT's "Perception" premier draws 5.6 million viewers

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Jul 10, 2012.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    While not the highest ratings, I was surprised how much we liked the show.

It's a good vehicle for Eric McCormack to demonstrate his acting skills and the talented Rachael Leigh Cook is an interesting choice for an FBI agent. They are strongly supported by LaVar Burton (Star Trek: Next Generation) and Kelly Rowan (The OC), as well as Ravi Patel and Arjay Smith.

It's another crime procedural, but if the writing settles in it could be a keeper for the long term.

2. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    Actually, I thought it was mediocre. When the most interesting plot element was a student who wanted to have an affair with the professor, it doesn't say too much for the show. Surely you guessed the truth about his therapist before the reveal.

3. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    It was okay. The "body on the floor" cop show with expert consultant is not a new category. This one does have possibilities as it seems lightly based on John Nash (A Beautiful Mind) who actually did work for the CIA at one time.

4. hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    Thanx,
    I will give it the 3 epi. test.

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I will give it the standard 1/3 of an episode test.

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Wow. You're a tough critic. I've never seen a pilot I couldn't pick to pieces.

I almost always give a new show 3 episodes. I say almost because there have been exceptions.;)

7. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I had such high hopes for it from the previews, then I watched it and became very disappointed and cancelled it from my season pass

8. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    Recorded this show... Will give it a watch ASAP......

9. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    I can't help calling it The Perceptionist. Have to wait for the Saturday morning rerun.

10. 1980ws

1980ws Legend

Mar 18, 2008
    Longwood,...
    Lost interest pretty quickly. Then the George Bush segment - "click".

11. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    I have to agree. I nearly shut it off then, but if I had, I would have missed the very end where the guy was watching a Bill Clinton segment and laughing his head off. Still, as I said, on the bubble, maybe, maybe not. I'll giv eit another episode, but if it fails to grab me, SP deleted.

12. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I'll be watching the next episode or two, still somewhat undecided. For summer entertainment it isn't bad.

13. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    I happen to agree with the point but also found that a bit over the top when watching it.

14. Jaspear

Jaspear Godfather

May 16, 2004
    Not as over the top as that large picture of Obama that appears on every episode of "Eureka". They even frame the shots so your eye is drawn to it.:rolleyes:

15. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    What I really was disappointed with was that I didn't see it breaking any new ground at all. It was new characters, but the same "content" slightly modified. Between Psych, The Mentalist, Lie to Me and the movie A Beautiful Mind, this seemed to take a few bits from each and make a new recipe, but it's not really different.

16. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Yeah, that was my take on it as well. I kept seeing warmed over bits from other shows/movies. About the only part I really liked was the wrap-up at the end

Rachael Leigh Cook as the FBI agent looks like she's 16, and I just didn't buy her in the role at all. Why does Hollywood keep pandering to this hot young chick with the older guy fantasy? It's getting tired. Kyra Sedgewick on the Closer (who's 47) is far sexier than this girl, and someone in that age range would have made more sense.

Pilots are often rough, so I'll give it another episode or two, but I'm not sure they can fix the problems I have with the show.

17. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Kyra Sedgewick is sexier then most people period.

18. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    There's one other series that this show reminded me of - Jeff Goldblum's failed 2007 series RAINES. He was a cop who talked to the ghosts of the murder victims who's cases he was investigating. Early on in the series (maybe at the end of the first episode) we discover that his partner is a ghost too.

From what I remember of it, the show was interesting, but the stories were a bit depressing. IMDB says there were only 7 episodes made. It was on NBC.

19. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Episode 2 wasn't half bad. The Russian Bride scenario has been done to death (even The Closer did this plot in season one, along with just about every other cop/detective series...) but they added enough new twists to make it interesting.

I guessed the final twist early on, but it was still fun to watch and Jamie Bambier from Battlestar Galactica was a great addition. I hope he sticks around.

20. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I agree that after watching the first two episodes, it is pretty formulaic. Perception is enjoyable but I doubt it will become required viewing for me.

What I found interesting in episode 2 was the language. At one point, the words BS and a-hole, and not the abbreviations I just used but the full words, were used in a scene. I wasn't used to that. I wasn't offended, just surprised.