To all the people who can’t stand Steinbrenner

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by John Corn, Mar 26, 2002.

1. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    To all the people who can’t stand Steinbrenner, you are acting like fools. Actually, you are acting like JEALOUS fools. Steinbrenner is a man who loves baseball, just like any of us. He provides a winning team for his fans and himself. He is running a business and why would he want to run an unsuccessful business? He is playing within the rules that were given to him and he shouldn’t be as hated as he is.

The funny thing about this whole situation is that ALL the fans who hate Steinbrenner, would be the same fans who would love Steinbrenner if he came to manage their team. If Steinbrenner came in and provided you guys entertainment and a Championship caliber team at all costs, while staying within all rules provided by MLB then he would be your favorite person.

George has got some deep pockets.

2. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Personally I don't like or dislike Steinbrenner personally. But I take issue with the idea that anyone who says anything bad about the current situation in baseball is simply jealous.

There is right now a huge disparity between big market and snmall market teams. Alex Rodriguez makes approximately 1/2 of the total payroll of the Expos.

The situation has to cahnage in some ways or you will be left with a handful of wealthy competing teams and a myriad of crappy teams that are simply schedule fodder.

Having said that the problem did not begin with Mr. Steinbrenner and if God forbid hew ere taken from us tomorrow it would not end.

But I would love tos ee a level playing field. Then of Steinbrenners' team or Murdoch's team or whoever else rose to the top because of superior management so be it! But I am unhappy with what I see now and it is not simply sour grapes.

3. pmichael

pmichael Legend

Mar 25, 2002
    I used to be a Yankees fan, and dumped them once I decided Mr. Steinbrenner's antics were too annoying. Unfortunately, baseball is hard to like anymore. Most small maket teams cannot win consistently(if at all), so the big market teams dominate. None of the other major sports leagues are so lopsided. So although I follow baseball, it's just not that enjoyable anymore.

4. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    A lot of money is generated in baseball. The season is long. There are many teams across the land counting minor leagues. For years the owners used a slavemaster mentality on ownership of players. The public never complained about that. When Curt Flood fought for the no trade clause the owners cried balk. The public turned a cold shoulder. The anti-trust clause rarely applies to MLB today. The game is about the only business that can do the things they do without govt. interference. We have seen them (owners) lockout players, refuse to bargain, collaborate, use one of their own as commissioner and recently blatantly downplay the financial status of MLB overall. Now that the players enjoy free agent status and bargaining power the salaries have skyrocketed but then again a lot of that has been perpetuated by owners. Its about time the players get a piece of the pie be it a big chunk.

A Hall of Fame great (Bob Gibson) holds a charity golf tourney each year in my hometown to benefit B.A.T. which is a baseball players assistance team which helps out former players which many are on hard times having their careers end before the Curt Flood clause and high salaries. The teams will not offer much assistance if at all. They invite many former great players of all sports to play in tourney and the one observation I made is that over 90% all walk with a limp, having suffered many injuries and surgeries. The game takes its toll the longer you play. I say get it while you can. Why shouldn't the player’s kids have silver spoons in mouth, as do all of the owners? Now that the wealth is being shared, the owners are counting on us to cry foul ball as fans. Don't fall for it. The players take care of their own, its about time the owners take care of them and us as fans as well.

5. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Yes the season is long. 162 games long. And yes a lot of money is generated.

But beyond that I disagree. I don't think that fans were silent when the highest paid players made $100 grand and most did not make a living wage.

I think however that they are silent now as they do not wish to take sides in a dispute between billionaires and millionaires.

I applaud Mr. Flood and many many others who look after the old timers but I have no idea why the evils of the past justify the present system. Moreover I can't figure out how any of this has anything to do with George Steinbrenner or whether most of us would like him if he owned our team.

ia m afraid I have lost track of the point of this thread.

:shrug:

6. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    sorry, my fault.....I was totally thinking about something elese when I posted that.......hehe. :blush: