To HD or not to HD

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by HarryD, Oct 21, 2002.

1. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    I am in the market for a new TV in our family room. I would like at least a 32 ". Should I go for a HDTV model (43")? What are the benefits?
    I have DirecTV and (initially) will be hooking the new set up to a Hughes director's pak recv. I don't really plan on installing a D* oval dish yet.
    How does SDTV look on a HDTV??

What are your opinions??

Muchas gracias
    :D

2. dmodemd

dmodemd Godfather/Supporter

Jul 5, 2002
    1. How long do you usually own a TV?
    2. How long before you want to dive in and get the HDTV receiver?

- There's your answer ;)

Now - once you GET the HDTV - you will find the time for #2 above will dramatically shorten :)

3. dmodemd

dmodemd Godfather/Supporter

Jul 5, 2002
    Another point:

- Calculate how much per year you spend on TV content.
    - Calculate how much per year you spend on the TV based on the average length of time you own a particular TV.

That will help you justify your budget and what model you should get.

4. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    You lost me dmodemd,
    What's how long do I own a TV got to do with this? (but I generally keep them until a breakdown - We have a Sony in my daughters room that's 11 years old)

If I buy a $1500.00 TV, it may be a while before I get a HDTV recv.

But how does SDTV look on a HDTV?? I asked one of the sales dudes at a local store to put on regular TV instead of HDNET and he said he couldn't..

5. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Harry you need to find a different place to shop then. :) You should be able to go into a store and press buttons to your hearts content.

Go for the HDTV, the Smile you get with a HD Set more then pays for the $1,500 cost of the set. :)

6. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    Scott,

Are you a HDTV'er ?? What's your opinion.. I have seen what HDTV looks like.. it is incredible BUT I need a new DISH and a HDTV recv and (most important) more $$$.

7. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Harry,

My honest opinion is that SD television doesn't look as good on a HD set because the HD set is so much larger. I went from a 27" sqaure set to a 51" 16x9 HD set. Dish network doesn't look as good, but I've pretty much gotton used to it. And, DVD viewing and HD content look soooooooooo much better, I'll never go back. That's my opinion. If you have no plans on jumping into HD with a receiver, in the next 4 or 5 years, then spending the extra $$$ on a HD set may not make sense unless you watch a lot of DVDs. If you're planning on picking up a HD receiver in the next year or two, then by all means, get the HD set now. And HD receivers are coming down in price - you can even pick up used ones in good condition for less than $300.

8. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Mentor

May 18, 2002
    I think it's ridiculous at this stage to buy a large tv that is NOT HDTV compatible...

9. Dec 3, 2002 #9 of 12
    HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    Ok Now that I've played around with some HD sets at my local CC (I watched about a quarter of a pro football game in SD feed) Which set do you guys recommend? I kinda want to keep the price under $1700. Panasonic 43/47 looks good as does the Hitachi (also 43)

10. Timco

Timco Woof! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 7, 2002
    If the choice is between the Panasonic and the Hitachi, I would go with the Hitachi. It has a very good rep.

11. Bill D

Bill D Godfather

May 10, 2002
    If you do buy any HD ready set, make sure it has a DVI connection in addition to atleast two analog component inputs. DVI is basically the HD connection of the future (the 921 will have it, not sure about directv HD receivers

12. markh

markh Hall Of Fame

Mar 24, 2002
    Maybe take a look at Toshibas. I'm not really looking for a HDTV to buy, but I like looking.:) Toshiba has a 42" that looks pretty good to me. The Panasonic you mentioned also looks very good.

Maybe I'm just not used to projection or really big screen TVs but the 42"- 48" sets look like they have a brighter, better picture than the very large TVs. It is amazing how much better projection TVs look than they did just a few years ago.