1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To HDMI...or NOT

Discussion in 'ViP211(411)/211K/222 Support Forum' started by Steve_LA, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve_LA

Steve_LA New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    So I took the plunge to Dish HD to go with a new LCD TV. I have a ViP211 scheduled to be installed Tuesday.

Here's my conundrum.

Go pickup a HDMI cable and hook it up to the LCD, knowing that the port may die.

Stick with RGB high quality cables.

The HDMI interface looks interesting, and I went to my neighbors house who has a Direct TV HD lash up fed via HDMI, and it was good, but I'm a cheap so and so.

I guess it comes down to 1) Is HDMI all that better on PQ over RGB on a 37 inch LCD,
    and 2) is the HDMI on the ViP211 going to work and work for more than just an instant.

Comments and suggestions would of course be appreciated.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Buy the cheapest HDMI cable that will work for you (mine was less than $15). Give yourself some extra cable so there is zero stress on the receiver end of the cable. Worst case scenaro you can always go back to component. If you buy a $100 cable that will tick you off more than if you buy a $15 cable (and IMHO lightweight $15 cables are less likely to stress the connector on the ViP).

BTW: I've had my ViP-211 for more than a year (got it instead of an 811 when signing up for the old DishHD). My HDMI still works.

3. Allanon

Allanon New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    When Dish comes out to install a new HD setup, do they offer hdmi cables or component? They're coming out to my house on the 23rd (3 week wait for an install) and I want to be prepared.

You can get good quality, cheap hdmi cables from monoprice.com

4. Steve_LA

Steve_LA New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Good advice, I think Walmart has a low end grade of HDMI cable, and as it is a digital signal, I doubt that "free oxygen" and other marketing ploys make a whole heck of a lot of difference at shorter differences. :eek2:

Cheers!

5. INHUMANITY

INHUMANITY Legend

Aug 7, 2005
    I picked up a couple of HDMI cables from eBay for $13 shipped.

Big Lots (yes, I said Big Lots) has HDMI cables for $12!

I picked up two for my buddy and they work just as great.

Remember the signal is 100% digital, so don't' fall for the 24k plated/Monster cable crap. Once the signal is locked, it's locked.

If it already is plated and is cheap, then go for it!

My 622 arrives on Saturday, so I got all the cables ready for it to hook up via HDMI to my 42" Vizio LCD and back to my receiver.

6. Steve_LA

Steve_LA New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Got my new Vip211 today, hooked it up using HDMI connection, worked fine.

Wish me luck with it lasting.

BTW...great picture so far!

7. gjh3260

gjh3260 Legend

Mar 19, 2006
    I got all my cables at monoprice.com. Cheap price but they work great. I use HDMI on my VIP211 without any problem and I have had my 211 for over 9 months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.