1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"To record this episode"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by spmccord, May 18, 2013.

1. spmccord

spmccord Cool Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Since I got the genie, "To record this episode, press (r) on your remote" pops up whenever I switch channels.

Is there a way to get rid of this??

Thanks!

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Do you have a minmum of 5 SL's in your Series Manager? If so it may be that you have recrding tips turned on in the settings that you may have turned off on your previous DVR.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    actually, you need a minimum of 6 series links in order for the message to "disappear"

4. spmccord

spmccord Cool Member

Jun 9, 2010
    So I have to record some stuff so it thinks I know what I'm doing??

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Kinda like that, though the machine is not judging you.... :grin:

Good thing is, machine doesn't know if you watch them, nor even if you intend to watch....so you can set up the series to be completely bogus.

6. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    Yep, I had this same question and discovered this is a glitch that has been going on for years, stumping the greatest minds over at Directv. Turning off recording tips in settings does nothing. And you might have noticed it only does it on shows or channels that you previously recorded.

7. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Doubt it's a glitch! While annoying to some, it's instructive to some others. Many set up series as soon as they get a new unit, so it doesn't come into play.

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Its not a glitch, setup 6 SL's and its gone....your vast negativity never ceases to amaze.

9. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    Uh, excuse me, but if there is an option in Settings to turn it off and it doesn't turn off, then it's a GLITCH!!!! Which is how it was described by OTHERS in the already existing threads I read when I was asking the question myself. You can cease being amazed now.

10. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You are excused.

Recording tips is not involved with this matter, and someone being helpful suggested it might help, but it doesn't. So, how about trying politeness??

This was a recording factoid, not a tip, O.K.? :rolling:

11. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    While I dont have a Genie, that seems like a sily feature

12. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It might be a silly feature for those seasoned DVRs users, but for the newcomers it provides a little bit of guidance.

13. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    How short an attention span do you need to have to appreciate being CONSTANTLY reminded that you merely have to press the RECORD button in order to RECORD the program you're watching? And if what I've said so far can be taken as being impolite, then you have severe sensitivity syndrome. And that's a factoid, not a tip.

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Setup 6 or more SL's, most people will have many more than that, and turn off recording tips and the message goes away. I think it s well thought out design feature.

15. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Talk to people in any tech support job about the calls they get and you'll see how dumb some people can be.

Here's one example from a friend in Comcast...

Tech: If you are using a computer please turn it off.

Customer: well I'm using a LAPTOP so does that matter?

Tech: *Moment of silence*

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    AWESOME!!!!!!!

17. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Obviously you are NOT in the service industry. Can't tell how many times I have ben to service calls to either change batteries on a remote control, or change the input on a TV….hilarious…..

18. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    And we—at least most of us—are not talking the level of blind stupid; merely uninformed. And the brighter folks quickly learn how to overcome this horrible intrusion into some people's sanity. Carncross makes the point.

19. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm sure brighter folks would also have noticed that I wasn't pulling my hair out in a blind rage over this horror. I was merely responding to someone else's frustration. But if you really do need a scapegoat in your life to make your miserable existence bearable, then flail away. I can take it.

btw, I HAVE worked service jobs (fixing office equipment) so I know exactly how stupid the public can be. This thread is a perfect example. There, now you really do have something impolite to refer to.