1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today's Rant

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tommiet, Feb 24, 2013.

1. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    At one time, Dish and Direct were the poor mans cable tv. I say that in that they both were always cheaper than your local cable company. But times change and in my case, the local cable company is now cheaper. Sure its not a 100% apples for apples, but I can save even more if I bundle services. I like DISH and I guess that's why I keep it, but its hard to pay more for the same service. My local cable company also does not charge me to maintain THEIR equipment. Only the cable from the maintenance box inside is my responsibility (and I can handle that.)

Buy my own DVR's and my cable company will charge me $3.00 a month for the cable card. I could watch TV/DVR on my 2 TV's. Even share recordings on both.

I like Dish.... maybe just time to move on.... No issues and no problems. But to save some cash, you really need to change providers every 2 years.

2. esl1885

esl1885 New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    I have the 250 pack which costs me $99 a month , plus I pay $50 for 10meg internet service. So I have $149 amonth invested.

For $97 I can get a HD digital cable package with 30 meg internet. The cable package has all the channels that we watch on Dish, the picture quality is equal, when it rains the cable keeps right working, and there is no contract. Guess what I will be switching to in Nov. when my contract runs out with Dish.

3. eisberg

eisberg New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Wow, where I live, it is much cheaper to have Dish for TV, and then use Comcast Cable for Internet, then to have Comcast for TV and Internet to get the same TV service as Dish. Easily save $50 a month using Dish as my TV instead of using Comcast as my TV.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I've been with Directv since 1997 and they've never been cheaper than cable. Thats not why I subscribe to their service. Satellite tv IMO has never been the poor man's cable, in my experience, just the opposite.

5. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    The price you pay also depend on where you live (competition) and what kind of bundle deals you can get with you phone and/or Internet provider.

In my case, I was paying $104 just for DirecTV, then last summer I switched to bundled deal with TDS, and now I am paying $119 for Dish, Internet and unlimited local and long distance. Plus I got a $200 Amazon card when I signed up. So it was a no brainer for me.

6. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    In both Florida and Ct. where I live Dish is quite alot less expensive. Right off the start, with Charter to get multiple rooms you pay a $19 DVR fee for up to four rooms. Sounds ok till you realize you pay that for three rooms or two rooms. Then, they charge a fee for the first receiver. Fios in Florida has an excellent PQ but is most definitely more expensive, though seems to have most all the HD channels.
    As for bundling, it's true you can reduce the cost of internet, but with what they want for programming, you are not really saving after the promo. I would never use their phone service, it is way overpriced. So along with Dish, the cable internet, I use a company much like Vonage, call Voice Pulse. $15 a month includes 200 minutes of long distance and I can call anywhere in the State of Ct. (Not quite all Florida without it being long distance when I am there) Add to that, Charter will give you a credit to reduce the cost of internet for a few months if you just call and ask. That may be because ATT has DSL here too, and I would go back to it if needed.

Add to all that, Charter does not have all the HD channels Dish does, in my case ones we do watch at least sometimes and the PQ is not as good. So it does apparently depend where you live.

7. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I'm in a rural area with very limited bundling options.

So, land line phone is $55/mo

Directv $150/mo (for several HDDVRs and most add ons)

Verizon for smart phone $105/mo

Internet (1 mbps) $40/mo

No small town in this area has cable TV anywhere close to a sat for # of channels and HD. In some of the towns there is a bundle package but I really can't see over the long term it is less expensive for what you get. It seems for HD and DVR upgrades they are brutally expensive.

8. Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    I switched from cable to Dish because the picture quality on cable was atrocious, there were typically 4 or 5 multi-hour outages per year, and I averaged at least one or two technicians at my home per year for the decade or so that I had them. By contrast I've never had more than a few second outage with Dish and the only time a technician has come in 13 years is when roofers knocked my Dish mount apart.

My parents are still on cable. Their local network broadcast channels are still SD so they are sill watching SD perhaps 80% of the time. Their cable system seems to have an amazing number of packages but no matter how much you pay you don't get locals in HD. And yet for this, they actually do pay more than I pay Dish. Their cable DVR costs $19.95/month and isn't as nice or as reliable as my Dish DVR. Their cable bill is higher for than my Dish bill for what seems to me to be much worse service. That said, I never thought of Dish as poor man's cable.

A couple years back, someone from the cable company came to my door and asked me the prices of all my services and then proceeded to try to sell me a cable/net/phone bundle for $99. I asked her if she was aware that the numbers I gave her added up to less than $99 and she said that she was but that those prices couldn't possibly last. I said: so you're saying $99 is guaranteed forever? and she cheerfully said it was guaranteed for 1 year and guaranteed to go up after that! What a deal!

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Voice Pulse isn't much like Vonage outside of being a competitive VOIP service. Vonage costs almost as much as cable phone service but it also brings unlimited calls to the US and Canada.

I'd be paying Comcast upwards of $255 a month for a triple play that is currently costing me about $200 unbundled.

The assertion that you can save money with a TiVo is VERY difficult to support given the lifetime fee of $500 on top of the cost of the DVR. Payoff for TiVo lifetime service is about 4.2 years and is NOT transferable to a new DVR.

Media Pee Cees are cheaper but the upkeep is significantly higher and ease of use is marginal at best. The one advantage here is that upgrading is considerably more straightforward.

My main concern with investing in hardware is that I fear there are some new technologies coming down the pipe (including a new OTA TV standard that is going into US testing) and I'd want something I know could adapt to the changing technology or was with a service that is largely independent of such changes.

10. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Good points overall.
    Voicepulse is very much like Vonage, but with more options, and it does have a plan that is like Vonage, @ $20.

11. archer75

archer75 Godfather

Oct 13, 2006
    Comcast here costs a fortune and their internet has caps. So I stick with satellite as it's cheaper and their receivers are a million times better. And I use FIOS for internet with no caps and faster speeds.
    I'm not sure why i'd ever get cable.

I had voicepulse for years and it worked great. Only $15/month too. Don't need them anymore so I cancelled.

12. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Evidently they can't get a signal from Dish where they live?

13. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    $138 seems like a lot for Dish, not sure if Direct would be cheaper, but not really interested in switching. I suppose though that $138 a month is much less than the millions I would have to invest in starting my own cable company in my town as none exists. I did approach Time Warner Cable which services much of my county about running lines in our town, not that I'm interested in their TV (my parents have TWC and it is woefully short of Dish in PQ and user friendliness), but perhaps in faster internet. TWC told me "no chance" that they would invest in our small town. Looks like I'll be sticking with Dish.

14. Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    I don't believe that's a problem. However they are slow to change stuff.