1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tonight Is Fall Back Night

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Drucifer, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Nov 3, 2012 #1 of 30
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    For those with manual clocks, tonight is the night you turn 'em BACK A HOUR!

2. Nov 4, 2012 #2 of 30
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yeah, another chore brought to you by the wisdom of the folks on Capitol Hill.

3. Nov 4, 2012 #3 of 30
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not here. ;)

4. Nov 4, 2012 #4 of 30
    Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Like this is just so strenuous. :rolleyes:

5. Nov 4, 2012 #5 of 30
    renegade

renegade Cool Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Did mine. At least I think I have. Most are automatic, though ...

6. Nov 4, 2012 #6 of 30
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It can be strenuous when you think about it. When I was growing up the average home had between two and three clocks (kitchen clock, alarm clock, and in some cases a grandfather, cuckoo or mantel clock. They all had to be reset plus any wristwatches. In today's world added to the aforementioned we now have clocks on coffee pots, stoves, refrigerators, microwave ovens, TVs, VCRs, DVD players, cars, phones, ect. Unless they are state of the art they all need to be manually reset.

7. Nov 4, 2012 #7 of 30
    Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    MM, you're sounding like a whiny liberal. :p

Weren't you in the military, where there were a lot more strenuous things than changing a few clocks? )

8. Nov 4, 2012 #8 of 30
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Up until a few years ago I didn't change clocks, I changed everything else. We had a lot of scheduled tasks that were set on "New York" time ... so even though I lived in a state that refused to change their clocks (Indiana) in most of the state, I still had to change all the scheduled tasks for an hour. And I had to remember which way to go - an event that occurred at 10am EDT would occur at 11am EST after the "fall back". (The "New York" time party would take their clocks back an hour, making the event occur one hour later in an area that didn't change their clocks.)

It was much easier to change the server time and all the PCs connected to it (via automation) than change all the scheduled tasks. But even years later I still get the "what time zone are you in" question when people set up meetings. And some who don't ask the question assume the wrong time zone. :(

9. Nov 4, 2012 #9 of 30
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Political comments are for the "Political Thread", not here. I never said it was strenuous for me. I posted it can be strenuous. Last words uttered by my wife last night were "Great, now we have to reset all our clocks". You and Webster have a different definition of few. As I have stated we have far more clocks in our lives than we had a few decades ago. Again, unless they are all state of the art they have to be manually reset. And trust me Vader, during my twenty five years of military service I've endured more hardships and strenuous situations than you will ever experience in your life.

10. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    So for those that don't like it, would you really prefer that it be eliminated? I love DST, and look forward to "springing ahead" every year. Yet it isn't feasible to keep it year round. Tomorrow will be first day of the school year that my 11 year old daughter won't have to walk to her bus stop in the dark.

I'll gladly trade a few minutes twice a year for the added daylight in the evenings during the summer.

11. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Yes, It is outdated. It is an old tradition that has run its course. Commerce does not rise and fall with the sun.
    I understand the safety issues of kids at the bus stop. But the whole country should change their sleep habits for it?
    How about a reflective vest day? And change your fire alarm batteries on that day as well.

12. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Oh wow, kids having to walk to their school bus stops in the dark. They and their parents don't mind them doing other things in the dark. Personally I'd prefer staying on Daylight Savings Time year round.

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    When I had a kid in junior high and one in high school (different start/stop times), I had the high schooler going to school in the dark in the fall. With falling back, it meant the junior high kid would come home in the dark. So it just shifted which one had to travel in darkness. I say no need to shift the times anymore.

14. Eddie501

Eddie501 AllStar

Nov 29, 2007
    If we didn't observe daylight saving time, in summertime the sun would rise at around 5:20 am. I'd much rather move that extra hour to the evening when I'm awake & enjoying summer activities.

Conversely, if we stayed on DST all year, in winter the sun wouldn't rise until around 8:30 & it would still be dark around 6:00.

Sure, DST is a pain a couple of times a year. But I think the alternatives would be kind of weird. After all, it's not like the sun rises & sets at a standard time all year.

15. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    How about a compromise at the half hour all year long?

There are states that get along fine without it.

16. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I am one who would vote for DST year round. The kids walking to school in the dark is really the only argument against it. People who work outdoors follow the sun whether it is 4AM or 9AM. I cant speak for everyone but I dont do anything outdoors before work but I would like the chance to do something outdoors after work. DST would give me that option.

17. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I agree with year around DST. How hard would it be for the schools to start an hour later year 'round? End of problem for kids in the dark.

18. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Are people that lazy? You really can't change a few clocks a couple time per year? Wow.......

19. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I have no issue with changing clocks at all, my only comment was I would like that extra hour of light in the evening.

20. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Wow, how late did they attend school? Every district I've been in, school has been out at all levels by at least 4:00. I don't know of anywhere in the Continental US that gets dark that early.