Tonight's ‘The Last Ship’ Season Premiere to be Delayed

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Jun 12, 2016.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Pick your news source, but TNT has announced that the scheduled season premier of "The Last Ship" has been pushed back to another date “as a result of the shootings this weekend in Orlando”.

“Our hearts are with the victims and their families,” TNT added.

According to Entertainment Weekly:

2. dplantz

dplantz Cool Member

Jun 12, 2006
    I was looking forward to seeing the season premiere of the Last Ship, but in light of what happened and the episodes subject matter this is a good move by TNT to delay it.

3. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Thanks for the heads up. I will check to see if the guide data took care of it yet.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Agreed. Portraying an act of violence so similar to the worst mass killing in US history would not be entertaining.

5. hookemfins

hookemfins Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    So what did TNT do, they showed episodes from last season. What's the difference between violence from this season to last?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

2 people like this.
  6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The First Look for this season has a bar scene where several people come in and start shooting up the place. I'm guessing that was going to be in tonight's episode.

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    So, it looks like the guide data wasn't updated and my DVR thinks it recorded the season premier. From past experience, that means the season link will most likely not record the actual showing of this episode.

So when someone sees the the season premier is reschedule, please update this thread so we'll know. Thanks.

8. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    I hate the country we have become, we are so weak now. They could have just put up a warning before the show aired, that would have been plenty (but still should not really have been necessary).

1 person likes this.
  9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Or television could have suspended all shows for the day out of respect for the victims and families (similar to the suspension for 9/11).

I'll watch what I recorded Sunday some other day. While I do not want terrorism to "win" and change life in America (making people afraid to go to pubic places and live their lives) I do not want to see the country be so callous toward major events that we care more about a missing TV show than people's lives.

(I am not saying anyone in this thread is callous - just noting that I don't want people to be that way.)

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    See, to me... when real life intrudes and I don't want to watch TV... I just don't watch it. I might record stuff to watch later OR I might just decide I don't want to watch a particular thing ever. I still don't know exactly what is accomplished by networks postponing things. They still make violent shows, they still aired violent shows today... and this particular violent show will air sometime soon, and LONG before those most affected by today's tragedy will be "over" what happened today... so I just don't get it.

I'm sensitive to others' feelings... which is why I don't see these things as actually mattering in the grand scheme of things. People who are directly affected won't even know the show was postponed, because they aren't going to tune in anyway. Everyone else loses, perhaps, some escapism by not getting to watch a show they were looking forward to and being more reminded of today's events.

I've never experienced this kind of tragedy... but I've experienced debilitating tragedy in my life, losing people I'm close to... and I just tuned out the TV and all my shows for more than a week before I felt like diving into anything... I expect that's how most people who are affected handle things... they either tune out OR perhaps go the other direction and want to immerse themselves in something not real.

1 person likes this.
  11. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Exactly, I know episodes in the can are not representative of recent events.
    Unless it is South Park. They are very quick about it.

12. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I'm pretty much with you on this. Let it air with a warning. I record it, let me decide when I want to watch it. I'm pretty sure the people affected by the tragedy weren't watching TV anyways. If they were, those are the callous people.

2 people like this.
  13. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I'm in the same boat.

14. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Mike & Molly did this years ago with an episode that had a hurricane that should have aired right after a real hurricane took place. Several friends and I boycotted the show after that.

Skipping an episode just because it may upset or offend someone is silly. Let us as humans decide what upsets or offends us.

1 person likes this.
  15. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Now, now, they were just being "Politically Correct". :sure:

16. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon

Aug 10, 2008
    My DVR recorded some kind of "look at the coming season" last week that WAS the first episode. No one else got that?

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The directly affected won't be watching ... but having some restraint is not a bad thing.

If it ticks you of go ahead and boycott the show forever. Forget the investment that you had in learning the show and characters and getting interested in their fictional lives. There are plenty of other shows to watch and forget.

The channel is playing the odds that less people will be offended by a week of "cooling off" after a related tragedy than would be offended by the delay. Perhaps they are right.

Or they could be using the tragedy to promote their show ... there are people who may not be watching "The Last Ship" who will tune in now that they know there will be a scene of violence. If they are using the tragedy to promote their show then perhaps a boycott is the best answer.

18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I got a 1 hour First Look on 5/31. I thought it was the season premiere. I only watched the first 10 minutes of it though.

I think I'm about to dump this series.... I think it has jumped too many sharks for me.

19. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    That's where I am. I was going to record and save it to an EHD, but I have so much to watch now I'll probably never get to it.

The thing about the delay, I know in April "As many as 500 migrants may have died when a large ship sank in the Mediterranean last week between Libya and Italy, the United Nations refugee agency said Wednesday." Just the title "The Last Ship" tells me there will be sinking boats or submarines or.... I know they'll not delay an episode if a few hundred refugees drown in the Mediterranean the week a boat sinks on the show.

Why pretend to be concerned about what you're doing when, in fact, you are about to show some folks being shot up in bar which means you are not really concerned about violence or you wouldn't show that kind of "entertainment" just to make money. This isn't some sort of esoteric art form that needs to be protected and encouraged.

1 person likes this.
  20. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I don't get being mad they didn't air it...

I don't think they needed to hold it back either...

It's a sad situation...

Traumatizing to many...

But I don't think it's at the level of 9/11. That was so beyond unique and everything then was preempted by news mostly anyway.

Anyone that traumatized by the events wouldn't have been watching tv that night anyway...

They didn't pull batman after Aurora and that seemed to go fine so there is precedent for letting it be...