1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top 10 Must-Have & Showcase Apps for Android Newbies

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Nick, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
  2. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I'm going to have to disagree on at least one of the suggestions, the task killer. That is not a app for a noob. Some tasks if killed will stop some of the phones services. Unless one knows wich ones are safe to stop, it is best to let the os stop the tasks that aren't needed. Besides, Android has a task killer built in that can be accessed in the settings menu, no need for a separate app.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Totally agree with you on taskkillier, Bubble, it's generally not needed at all.

In fact, other than Google Voice, I don't agree with any of their ten.

I'm put swype, screebl, zedge, and gmail unread count, pandora and many others on the list though.

4. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    I disagree ATK is a must at least for me. Android does not kill tasks as well as it needs to and they just eat battery time. Plus with ATK you can select what apps get killed and what don't. After you do that you can just hit the widgett and it will auto close those apps. A lot will depend on how heavy you have your phone setup with apps and what you mainly do with it.

5. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    When I activated my wife's Motorola Droid the rep told me to download ATK and use it.
    When I got the Incredibles, they didn't mention them, but I snagged them anyway. I use it all of the time, and have had no problems with loss of services, etc.

Other than that one app, I have none of the others, and don't care for any of them.

My favorites, in no particular order:

Yelp
    DIRECTV
    SchottGun
    RockPlayer (for DivX playback)
    CraigsNotifica
    AppBrain
    Barcode Scanner
    Astro
    Bubble Level
    Google Earth
    GMAP Address Book