1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top Movies are not complete movies?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by p010ne, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p010ne

p010ne p010ne

Aug 19, 2006
    decatur, tx
    :mad: Noticed that Wall-E is listed on Top Movies (9981 VOD) for $5.99 expires 3/1 and length is 4 hr 16 minutes; however, when I buy the 24 hour rental and play the movie it only plays for 1 hour and 13 minutes - then we get Leonard Maltin previews of Kung Fu Panda and Narnia for the rest of the time!
    How come DirecTV loads my HR21-1000 with these Top Movies that are not complete but cost a premium price?
    I apparantly have to record it from channel 198 PPV to get the REAL MOVIE at 1 hr 38 minutes! for the same $5.99 price!!
    I called DirecTV rep and had the VOD charge deleted and will use the PPV version! :mad:

2. CindyJ

CindyJ AllStar

Aug 7, 2008
    Must have been some kind of weird anomaly. I watch a movie from the Top Movies folder almost weekly and have never had this problem.

3. p010ne

p010ne p010ne

Aug 19, 2006
    decatur, tx
    :eek2: Well, what is your mileage when you try Wall-E from Top Movies? You can get a free viewing of the first hour or so if you complain to DirecTV!! :nono2:

4. CindyJ

CindyJ AllStar

Aug 7, 2008
    I watched Wall-E from the Top Movies folder on 9 January. It was the entire film.

Also, my Top Movies folder currently contains 11 films but Wall-E isn't among them.

5. p010ne

p010ne p010ne

Aug 19, 2006
    decatur, tx
    :sure: DirecTV has contaminated it with Leonard Maltin fluff and eliminated the complete Wall-E version NOW!!:sure:

6. CindyJ

CindyJ AllStar

Aug 7, 2008
    Just the fact that the length was listed at 4 hours 16 minutes indicates that something weird happened when D* placed the film on your DVR. The length should have been exactly the same as any of the Wall-E showings on the PPV channels. Don't remember if I got any LM commentary with Wall-E but it is definitely common to get LM commentary ahead of a PPV film. I've seen short LM comments ahead of several PPV films.

7. p010ne

p010ne p010ne

Aug 19, 2006
    decatur, tx
    :p DirecTV loads the backend of Top Movies with promotional junk and deletes the endings of the complete movies NOW!!

8. CindyJ

CindyJ AllStar

Aug 7, 2008
    No they don't. I watched Nights in Rodanthe 21 Feb and The Secret Life of Bees on 14 Feb from the Top Movies folder. Both were the complete film. There was a problem with Wall-E being recorded on your DVR. Go into the Top Movies folder. Look at the length of a few of the films and check that length against the length of the same films on the regular PPV channels. Are the lengths the same or different? On my DVR, the lengths are exactly the same (as they should be). I am 100% certain that the next time I watch a film in the Top Movies folder, it will be the entire film as it has always been.

9. p010ne

p010ne p010ne

Aug 19, 2006
    decatur, tx

10. D*HR-20

D*HR-20 Legend

Jan 7, 2007
    So, you view one corrupt file that doesn't include the whole movie, get your money back, and then assume every movie in the Movies Now folder is corrupt. It doesn't take a genius to see your logic is highly flawed.

11. p010ne

p010ne p010ne

Aug 19, 2006
    decatur, tx
    :grin: DirecTV shills like you obviously see no problem; however, I do not have to eat the whole bag of apples to know that the bag is a gyp when I find one bad apple!:grin:

12. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    There's no reason to start name calling because he doesn't agree with you. ;)

How many other movies from Movies Now have you seen with the ending deleted?

I've only watched two of them (granted this was last year) and they had endings so I'm wondering how prevalent this is.

Mike

13. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    That about says it all.:)

14. p010ne

p010ne p010ne

Aug 19, 2006
    decatur, tx
    :lol: We have been with DirecTV for SEVERAL years and have NEVER watched anything we had to buy! We got 3 free movies for our "anniversary with Directv" so thought we would watch one that had some oscar nominations! Found it on our "TOP MOVIES" list and discovered the gyp!
    Not really interested in trying the WHOLE gyp bag!!:nono:

15. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Could we please stop using the "G" word? It's really no different than the "N" or "J" word, just a different minority group.

16. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I'm sorry, let's get who banned? I don't get it. :scratchin

Ok then. You don't know about endings on other movies and are assuming that all of the movies have the endings cut off. Is that a fair assessment?

How about anyone else? Has anybody seen this problem?

I have some free PPVs also and would like to know if anyone else has seen this issue.

Mike

17. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I have a suggestion after this thread.
    guess I don't get it, 1 movie was messed up so everything has to be messed up?
    what am I missing?

18. p010ne

p010ne p010ne

Aug 19, 2006
    decatur, tx
    :lol: Let's get rid of all those DirecTV flame starter shills!!!:p

19. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Please, let's refrain from name-calling or negative comments about other posters. I'd like to see this thread become a positive discussion of Top Movies ... I know not everyone's a fan and we can discuss that. It seems like our thread starter had a negative experience but I'd like to hear what others had to say.

For my part, I'm a casual user of "Top Movies" and have never had a problem. For those unaware, Top Movies are recorded from regular PPV and PPVHD channels on to a reserved area of your hard drive. This area was never intended for your use, and as such was never "taken away" so can never be "given back." It sounds like in the case of our thread starter, the transmission was improperly timed and that does happen, hence the CSR's willingness to reverse the charge.

20. p010ne

p010ne p010ne

Aug 19, 2006
    decatur, tx
    :icon_band Hear, Hear!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.