1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOP THIS!!! ... (you won't)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Driver_1, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Driver_1

Driver_1 AllStar

May 22, 2009
    I just called to cancel service, and the rep said no problem, your final bill will be $11 plus change. "We'll send you a box for you to return the receiver".

:confused:

They can send a box if they want to, but this receiver is going back on eBay where I bought it in '09. And I told her so. She wouldn't back down from the computer records :rolleyes: . She said for me to fax or mail the records showing this. I have them all - PayPal TX details, eBay TX details, credit card TX entry, etc.

Proving that it's mine won't be a problem. What IS the problem, is

1) Where did this info come from? (they had other incorrect info too, but it didn't come down to more $$ ...)
    2) When they DO get it right, what kinds of problems will I run into when I sell, and the new buyer tries to activate?

#2 could be a major headache. Negative feedback, return postage, etc. :nono2:

If you CAN top this, post up on it...

Sir RANCELOT out!

(My 625 is for sale, with spare HDD's; PM me)

edit:
    I just tried to post in the 'Buy, Sell, Trade', but no access? Paying members only?

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    When receivers are activated, by default, they are listed as "leased" unless they were purchased (not leased) from Dish. CSRs who activate used, owned receivers are supposed to click the "owned" box when activating, but that doesn't happen 100% of the time. You could have gotten the receiver's status at any time, and you should ALWAYS check when adding an owned receiver to your account, since owned receivers have been the exception now for many years.

Since you have proof of purchase, you won't really have a problem, but know for the future to make it VERY clear when activating that it's an owned receiver, and then check your account again a day or two later and be sure it was done right.

3. Shaqdan

Shaqdan Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    What are we supposed to be trying to "top," and why would we want to?

4. jrbdmb

jrbdmb Icon

Sep 5, 2002
    Well, if you had leased receivers and then returned them, chances are Dish would either (1) claim they never received them, or (2) claimed they were damaged beyond repair due to bug infestation. These seem to be common themes with returned receivers.

5. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    So you are saying that "chances are" (more than 50% of the time) Dish will claim it didn't receive it's equipment or that it was damaged when received? I had no idea the problem was that common.

6. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    It's not, there are just some people who are prone to wild exagerations... :nono2: :rolleyes:

7. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    It's not.

8. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    A story told many times before -- join the club.

Seriously, join the club -- support the forum!

9. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Don't know had to send back a leased 625 and a owned 622(for replacement under DHPP) to Dish Network.Even though I always make a copy of the return label(for the tracking number and other information) I received an email from Dish Network both times letting me know they received both receivers.:)

P.S. I always mail them back the next day as there is a time limit to return or be charged!.:eek2:

10. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Ah, you're making "stuff" up. :rolleyes:

11. kstuart

kstuart Icon

Apr 25, 2002
    By the way, there have been instances where people have sold leased receivers on ebay.

So, those who bought them, have bought leased receivers and so do not own them.

Generally, when buying satellite receivers on ebay, it is necessary to get the receiver number and then call Dish to ask if it is leased or owned...

12. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    Sure, I heard that someone cancelled E* service, had an owned receiver, refused to send it back and had 10 E* trucks there 10 minutes later with rifles demanding the receiver.

OK, I made it up, it was supposed be 10 minutes, but was really 10 days.:D

13. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Another reason why I'm a DirecTV customer! ;)

14. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    That's a strange reason to be a DirecTV customer when I see all the posts about DirecTV putting Purchased receivers as leased too.