1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torchwood on HDNet

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Stewart Vernon, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    While watching HDNet tonight I saw several commercials for Torchwood (the Doctor Who spinoff) that said coming to HDNet this fall.

I knew BBC America was going to air Torchwood season 1 starting around September I think... but this was the first I'd heard of HDNet. Cool beans!

2. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I would much rather watch this in HD than SD, so great news!

3. 2Guysfootball

2Guysfootball Godfather

Jul 2, 2007
    I am very excited about this. Now we need Dr. Who in HD :)

4. Allen Noland

Allen Noland New Member

Apr 23, 2002

Hopefully SciFi channel will go HD soon (although I haven't heard any news of that happening) and we'll Dr Who and others in HD.

5. bavaria72

bavaria72 I am one too! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    That is great news. Always take HD over SD. I have been wanting to see Torchwood so this is great.

6. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Doctor Who was not "filmed" in HD, so it would be an upconvert. Torchwood was HD all the way.

7. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Interesting tidbit about Doctor Who is that even though it is not shot in HD, it is still higher resolution than US SD widescreen... so a good HD transfer might still look nicer than what we get on DVD. Torchwood, however, should be awesome since it is in HD from the word go!

8. 2Guysfootball

2Guysfootball Godfather

Jul 2, 2007
    Nice :) SD across the Pond is what 520??

9. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC

Somebody will probably jump in and correct me if I misstep here... but what I've read is that Doctor Who is shot using Digibeta, which is a digital-to-tape format instead of film. Also, being in the UK and in PAL their resolution is 720x576 for widescreen.

So... pretty much the same horizontal resolution as SD, but 86 more vertical lines of resolution.

While they passed on HD for Doctor Who for various reasons apparently... there is still a little more resolution in there to play with and they seem to think that if/when the time comes they could manipulate the original source a bit perhaps to get something closer to 720p resolution out of what they have. Obviously it would still be an upconvert, but a smarter than your typical upconvert.