1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torchwood

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by inkahauts, Jan 20, 2010.

1. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
  2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    This seems like a destined-to-fail on so many fronts.

Firstly, since it is a Doctor Who spinoff... only the British episodes (especially if they keep making new ones) will truly fit into continuity with Doctor Who fans.

Secondly, FOX was involved in the Doctor Who movie of 1996 that resulted in nobody getting new Doctor Who again until 2005! And FOX has not released that Doctor Who movie on DVD in the US even though they probably would sell a pile of them.

Thirdly, FOX is known for the short-hook... so I can't imagine this show would get high enough ratings from the cult following to last past one season on FOX. Even FOX's own shows don't get full seasons anymore with any reliability... and FOX has a poor track record with scifi/fantasy type shows.

3. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    That's a rights issue. Doctor Who releases in the United States is handled by Warner Bros., but the 1996 film was done by Universal. Slight problem.

4. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    WB having the rights to new stuff doesn't conflict... there are lots of movie franchises split across studios, and whatever studio owns the rights releases the movies they own.

But yeah, technically it'd be a Universal release in the US... not FOX.. even though it aired on FOX back in 1996. I always forget that detail.

5. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Fox would probably end up watering down this series and turning it into anther Fringe or Bones. Gay/Bi lead character? no way. All the Doctor Who mythology would be out the door. Edgy plots like Countrycide would also probably never make it across the pond.

It would end up being a sci-fi romantic comedy with Jack and Gwen as the leads and the others boiled down to quirky supporting roles. Yuck.

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Since they're using the British "Torchwood"/"Dr. Who" producers maybe it won't end up like "Life on Mars" where Americans try to copy a British scifi show. I'd watch a few episodes but I'd have some skepticism.

7. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'd definitely watch and give it a shot... but I agree, I wouldn't have high hopes.

8. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Fox will follow the Fox Science Fiction patern.

Hype it to death. Get you interested. Move it to the Friday Night Death Slot. Cancel it.

9. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    it's a mystery to me why TV ratings on fri/saturday night are abysmal. Even when halfway decent shows are moved to friday the ratings tank.

10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Apparently people with lives have other things to do Friday and Saturday nights. On the other hand, I get to watch anything decent on those nights plus whatever we record for time shifting. Hmmm, not sure what that says about my life....

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    A new season of Torchwood! Woohoo!

As for a U.S. version, I'll give it a shot, but I'm not too optimistic.

- Merg

12. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    DVR

13. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I would watch the U.S. version ,i recently bought season 1 and 2 on blu ray ,and it is awesome!,cant wait to see how the u.s, version turns out.

14. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Yep 1000000% Correct. ANYBODY who wastes time watching a SciFi series on Fox will get shafted.

Fox has no respect for SciFi Fans, they alway cancel the shows and leave it hanging and they wont allow anybody else to ever resurrect it.

Fox Has never had a completed SciFi series, ever!

15. timmmaaayyy2003

timmmaaayyy2003 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2008
    Funny you say that because my wife and I (and most of the people I know) stopped watching The X-Files when they moved it from Friday nights to Sundays.

16. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    Yeah man, I would love some new Torchwood!

17. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Dollhouse was completed, X-Files had a long run and was completed and I'm sure there are others that were completed that I'm forgetting. I wouldn't say "never".

18. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I wouldn't really count Dollhouse as "completed" when you consider that the people making the show wanted to make more, and it was a semi-miracle that FOX decided to air the episodes they contracted for.

19. russ9

russ9 Godfather

Jan 28, 2004
    As in (almost) all things Sci-Fi, I'll be hoping for the best. Not that there is much hope for Fox, though in the case of X-Files, they could have actually ended it a bit sooner. Life on Mars was interesting, starting out as a virtual copy of the Brit show, and not nearly as good. Then, just as they broke out of the mold and became it's own show it got much better. Which of course meant ABC had to cancel it...