1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Total HD Noob

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JohnQ, Mar 29, 2013.

1. JohnQ

JohnQ Cool Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Freshwater...
    My current DirecTV setup (all owned).
    House:
    1. A samsung 303 like it but have had problems refreshing menus.
    2. 2 RCA's, don't remember models but all are from the early 2000's & NO Problems.
    3. 1 RCA from 1998 and no problem.

Motorhome:
    1. The dome antenna is a King-Dome 9702 (late serial number) and NOT HD Directv capable. Don't want to upgrade at this time.
    2. 2 Samsung recievers, one a Sir-303W & a Sir-70.

First I want to OWN the receivers not lease from Direct. I want HD for the house and receiving SD via the King-Dome via a HD Receivers in the motorhome is OK.

What receivers does everyone recommend for this "upgrading step" to HD? And any problems I should anticipate either with Direct or installing? Also, I would like to standardize on one make/model for less confusion & backups.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Step one: learn to get used to leased receivers.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    It is possible to own receivers, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to do so, and it is much more expensive to do so (if you actually buy to own from DirecTV, which is possible). The only real advantage to owning a receiver is being able to turn it on and off as desired (activate/deactivate), and be able to keep it while it is deactivated. Leased receivers must be returned when deactivated. So if you have a particular receiver (like for your motorhome) that you only activate a few months out of the year, then I can see where it would be nice to have an owned receiver in that specific location.

Check the buy/sell forum here, sometimes owned units show up for sale. Get the receiver ID number (RID) of any receiver you are considering buying and call the access card department and confirm you will be able to activate and use the receiver if you buy it (you will have to buy a new access card for it, about $20, so factor that into whatever you are willing to pay). Be extremely careful buying anyplace, as there are extremely few owned units out there any more (and a lot of leased units for sale that shouldn't be, and can't be activated if you "buy" them).

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    As to standardizing, all receivers and DVRs are now DirecTV branded. High def receivers have model numbers beginning with an "H", such as H21, H25 is the newest. High def DVRs start with "HR", and the HR24 is the newest DVR, but there are also the Genie units (HR34 and HR44) now available. In addition, there are clients that work with the Genie, which are designated C - something (currently C31).

Call DirecTV and see what they will do for you. Your existing receivers are going to stop working in the predictable future (due to changes in the structure of the guide data). So if you wish to remain a DirecTV customer, you will HAVE TO upgrade to something newer (and almost certainly have to lease).

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just my personal experience, but I think the HRs run better with a large internal drive. I have 9 owned HRs and all have 2TB drives in them and I've had no problems with them. The six 24s I own all have the large drives in them and I've got one running around 20% full and have no problems with that or any of the others.

On the other hand, I can see no reason to own a Genie.

Rich