Total upgrade needed, so will need to upgrade RV, too.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by JustSomeGuy, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Jul 3, 2015 #1 of 14
    JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy New Member

Jul 2, 2015
    United States
    I hope I'm posting in the right section.
    I've been a DirecTV customer since 2007, and still have all my original equipment. Several of the boxes are getting a bit irregular, and resets aren't helping.
    So I called wanting new boxes, and also wanted to get one new HD box, as well as upgrading an SD DVR to an HD DVR. I was quite plain in speaking to customer service that I wanted to be able to take the new HD DVR with me when I traveled, as I do now, and they said it would be no problem.
    I currently have a Slimline dish with four wires coming from it to a WB68 switch on my RV (same setup as in the house, but all 8 outputs are used there). Two leads run to the family area and two run to the bedroom, so I can hook up the HD DVR in either location.
    They wanted me to go with Genie, which I accepted, but still wanted the HD and HD DVR stand alone boxes so I could travel with them.
    So when the installer comes, he tells me that I won't be able to use those boxes on the RV anymore, as they won't work with my setup.
    He says the LNB has to be switched out to run with the new boxes, and it has to have a separate power supply, as well as a new multiswitch.
    He wouldn't sell me any of the items, and said he couldn't tell me what I needed or where to get them. He said I had to have an installation done on the RV, as I wouldn't be able to do it.
    I set it up the first time, I have a hard time believing I couldn't do it again.
    So, can anyone tell me what I need to do to hook up the new boxes on my RV?
    Which dish/LNB, power supply and switches do I need?
    I sent the guy away without the install as I'm traveling this next week and wanted to have DirecTV in the RV.
    If I really can't do this I might as well go back to cable, if I can I'll buy the stuff and set it up when I get back, and have the upgrade done.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. Jul 3, 2015 #2 of 14
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    If you're not planning to use the Genie DVR, then you can use an HR2x HD DVR in the RV without changing anything on the RV's dish. The HR2x HD DVRs can use either the newer SWM or older multiswitch dish setup. Depending on which HR2x model you get, you might also need B-Band Converter (BBC) modules to receive HD channels with the RV Slimline dish. DirecTV will usually provide them for free.

3. Jul 3, 2015 #3 of 14
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    What exact receivers and how many do you have today? And which do you current take with you on the rv? And how many receivers are you wanting at one time at home?

And am I correct assuming you want to take just one DVR with you on the rv?

4. Jul 3, 2015 #4 of 14
    JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy New Member

Jul 2, 2015
    United States
    I currently have:
    1 HD DVR, model H21-200
    1 HD, model HR20-100
    1 HD, model HR20-100S, this one I picked up at BestBuy not long after the original installation.
    1 SD DVR, model R15-300
    3 SD, model D11

I've been using the H21-200 in the RV if both of us are traveling, but I leave it at home and take the R15-300 if I'm off by myself.

I wanted to upgrade the standard DVR to HD, and get one additional HD receiver for a total of 8 TV's in the house.
    I want to use one HD DVR in the RV, and maybe take a HD receiver, also, if any of the grand kids are travelling with us.
    What they were going to set me up with was the Genie, three mini's, one HD DVR receiver, one HD receiver, and two standard receivers.
    What I'd really like to do is skip the Genie and just have two HD DVR's, basically separate ones for my wife and I, like I have now.
    I'm rethinking the standard receivers, too, as I'll probably change out those TV's fairly soon.

5. Jul 3, 2015 #5 of 14
    inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I'll reply in a bit with my suggestions but I'd definelty go genie. But not as they are suggesting.

6. Jul 3, 2015 #6 of 14
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Since you have a Slimline dish already in your RV, the simplest solution may be to replace the WB68 in your RV with a SWM8. You would need a power brick for the SWM8 which you don't need for the WB68, but other than that the setup would remain the same, you could use the same method to aim it, etc. and you wouldn't need to reconfigure your receivers when you move them from home to RV and vice versa.

You could replace the LNB in your RV's dish with a SWM LNB, but since you already have the wiring done for the WB68 there's not much point and keeping the legacy LNB provides a bit more flexibility depending what method you are currently using to aim it.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jul 3, 2015 #7 of 14
    inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    First, a couple things aren't quite right here.

One, a dvr has a model number with an r in it, a non dvr does not, so I think you have your model numbers backwards. The hr21 is your dvr, the others are h20's.

Second, you must have only one tuner set on one of your dvrs because otherwise you'd be using 9 tuners at home, and that isn't really possible with a wb68.. Any new system you should not have this issue, you should have all tuners working for any and all dvrs.

Here is what I would do if I where you...

I would keep my hr21, and both h20's.

I would replace your standard dvr and the three d11's with a genie and three minis.

I see no reason they wont do all that for free right there, but, the one additional box might be something they would want to charge you for. I would go with either a h25 HD receiver or a hr24 hd dvr. (yes that would give you three dvrs, two regular and one genie.) They might suggest an additional mini genie. That is not something i would do, as you can only use up to three genie minis at any one time. so one would have to be off for sure if you had three already. I prefer to not make that an issue.

This setup would move you from 8 tuners (three that can record at once) to 11 tuners with 9 record-able (assuming you go the second hr2x instead of a h25, which would make it 10 tuners and 7 record-able)

The two dvrs plus genie would also allow you to take two dvrs with you on your rv when you want, instead of one dvr and one non dvr. don't know if that matters to you?

The wiring of your system would change at your home, you'd be moved to a swim16 unit, and only one wire required to each receiver in the house. (this is going to happen no matter what, you will have to many tuners if you add a box, so that's happening anyway) The dvrs would still connect just fine to your rv system as they do now, only you would need to rerun satellite setup every time you switch from one to the other (takes a couple extra minutes is all). You could replace the wb68 on your rv with a swim8, or even a SWIMLNB so that you didn't need to rerun sat setup every time you switched back and forth. That should not be hard if you do your own work on your rv anyway.

I wouldn't discuss the rv situation at all with an installer. Id take care of all that on my own personally. We can even help you see exactly what youd need to get if you wanted to change it at all.

In the house I'd put the genie and the minis to your most used spots, move the old hr21 and h20s to where your sd stuff is now... You will love a genie, its just so much faster than any hr21 has eve been. Its night and day.

The other option is to get a genie to replace the sd dvr, and add one more standard hd receiver or an additional hd DVR to what you have now and stop there, not switching out any of your d11s for minis.

You could also swap the sd dvr for a genie, and add four standard hd receivers, and eliminate the d11's. But I am sure they'd want to charge you a lot more for that than any of my other suggestions.

A genie can act exactly like a hd dvr, in fact it is a hd dvr. get it, don't even hesitate on that. You will be glad you did. The only debate would be the minis IMHO. But i see now reason based on what you have to not get minis to swap out your sd units, and keep all your current hd stuff.

No matter which route you take, you will end up with a new wiring system at home, your current is not capable of driving what you have properly (its not proper if you have one dvr without both tuners available) and you cant add any more to it for sure.

Did any of that make sense? :lol:

1 person likes this.
  8. Jul 3, 2015 #8 of 14
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Regardless of which route the TS goes, the D11 have to be replace as they are not SWM compatible. At the very least, they would be replaced with D12s if TS insist on keeping at no charge.

1 person likes this.
  9. Jul 3, 2015 #9 of 14
    JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy New Member

Jul 2, 2015
    United States
    Makes perfect sense, thank you.
    The DVR's and HD's are the only units always hooked up, I've never been able to use all the boxes at once. I've always had to switch cables out of the the WB68 to connect the SD's in different rooms, which is easier than moving boxes around.
    The SD boxes and the SD DVR are the only ones that work reliably anymore. All the HD boxes have issues. The HD DVR resets itself for no known reason, more than just occasionally. One of the HD boxes will not output 1080 (not a huge deal), the other one will hard lock and require a reset.
    I guess I do need the whole new setup at home, so what do I have to do to the RV to get a new HD DVR to work in it without having to change setup every time?
    Will just changing out the WB68 with a SWIM8 and power supply work? Can the SWIM8 be exposed to weather? The SWIMLNB would also need a power supply, correct? Which would be better in a mobile situation?
    I appreciate all the help.

10. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    If you are having that many issues I'd set up with the first idea like I said (genie a and minis to replace your SD stuff) and when the guy is there tell him those hd boxes are acting up as well. He might swap all your stuff that way. ;).

If he doesn't then after a month I'd call and. Complain about the hd ones and get them swapped out that way. But I think he'd do it while he was there if you ask nicely and such. And I'd still avoid even talking to them about the rv. And No way I'd be swapping cables if you are paying all the time that's to much work! :)

And yeah swapping the wb68 for a swim8 will work perfect for your rv. Just get it off eBay or solid signal.

I really can't stress how much you should get a genie either. Just no hesitation there at all. You'll love it.

1 person likes this.
  11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    When you order the Genie, and when the installer calls to say he's coming, make sure he has an HR44 (not an HR34). Both are Genies, but you will be much happier with the 44 than the 34.

I agree with getting an SWM8 multiswitch for your RV. Better option than an SWM LNB in your particular situation.

As to clients, just remember they only work with the Genie, they can't work on their own. So you can't leave the Genie at home and take a client on the road. There are pros and cons to both clients and non-client receivers, so you have to decide what works best in your specific system.

1 person likes this.
  12. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy New Member

Jul 2, 2015
    United States
    Thanks for all the info. That's probably the way I'll go, just getting the Genie first and the others later. The old HD DVR will still need two lines going to it, right?

13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    No, the old hd dvr will go to one line as well..

And I would go for it all at once, I bet its cheaper. They will do free stuff but once you have gotten free stuff, they wont do any more free for a while, no matter how much you have... or how much free you just got vs what they would have given you if you had asked for it. Kind of silly, but that's how it is... Just sayin... SO I woudl push for as much free stuff as possible at least.

1 person likes this.
  14. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Hello JustSomeGuy,

I just wanted to welcome you to the DBSTalk forums! :wave: