Touchpad disable on late model HP

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by AntAltMike, Dec 13, 2019.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    This is the third HP laptop on which my mouse/touchpad became disabled. With the two previous laptops, I had no trouble finding the disable function and toggling the touch pads back on.

But with this late model HP, I simply can't find the disable/enable control. Each time I Google search for it, I find scored of pages describing how to do it with the older laptops, winch admittedly, were new laptops when those instructions were posed.

FWIW, the two older computers might have had Windows 7 whereas this one has windows 19

I took the laptop to Best Buy's Geeks department, and when the locals struck out they canned Geek National Headquarters and they downloaded new drivers twice, which did not remedy my problem, and based on that, advised me to send the unit in for repair.

I do not respect the integrity of their diagnosis. I asked the tech if they had found the enable/disable feature and he said they had not, so I am concerned that it is unaffected by the driver download.

For six months, I have been carting around an old Dell wheel mouse, with its USB plug. It works, but I really would like the touch pad brought back into service.

2. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Is your laptop still under warranty? Have you contacted HP directly about the problem? Perhaps you do need to send the unit to them for repair.

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Not under warranty.

I am not going to mail the computer in for repair until someone first shows me how to disable and re-enable the touchpad. If they don't know that, then they cannot definitively diagnose that it needs physical repair.

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Get into the Control Panel, then select Mouse. If you have your external mouse connected, then you should see both listed under mouse. You can enable / disable either one.

5. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Settings > Devices > Mouse
    (select right or left button for primary, wheel response adjustments)

Additional mouse options:
    Buttons - Pointers - Pointer options - wheel - hardware

All it shows under hardware is one item: HID compliant mouse:

Device type, mice and other pointing devices
    Manufacturer: Microsoft

This device is working properly

I requested the "default" setting the only time that choice was offered to me.

# # #

When I get home, I'll power up a near physically identical HP laptop that is a year older. I think that I had found the enable/disable on that computer. If I can find it there, I'll check to see of the older one is windows 17 rather than windows 10, and if it is I will be tempted to downgrade myself to see if doing so gets me a touchpad enable/disable option.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My HP says it is plugged into the PS2 connection.
    Have you tried to uninstall and then do a refresh so that it finds it and reinstalls it ?

Have you tried, click on the start icon, scroll down the list of apps, look for one that says Synaptics Touch Pad. Click on that and see doesn't that allow you to make changes .

I use a RF Logitech . The wireless receiver / transmitter is plugged into the USB port.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    upload_2019-12-14_17-20-11.png

8. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    But can you find a place in y0ur control,panel to disable the touchpad. That is considered an important capability because some people accidentally hit it with the heels of their palms

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    No
    Look at the screenshot of the App I pointed you to.
    You probably read that post when I was editing it.

10. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I have a 15 month old HP laptop at home and an older one at work. I simply double tap the upper left corner to disable the touchpad. I have done this accidentally...

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would check BIOS setting first

12. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    My present guess is that the reason I can't find a "disable touchpad" option under settings > devices > mouse is that my computer does not detect my touchpad at present, thus it cannot be disabled/enabled. That can be either a conductor problem or a component problem. I'll have to see what other models of HP computer I can scavenge the underside of a compatible touchpad from

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    In the Control Panel,
    Open "Device Manager"
    scroll down to the mouse and click on it to open it up.
    Does it show anything with "Touch" in the description ?
    Mine shows the brand, etc. and "TouchPad" .

P Smith likes this.
  14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Or BIOS settings !