Traitor in Baghdad (Peter Arnett)

Discussion in 'Archive' started by DmitriA, Mar 30, 2003.

1. DmitriA

DmitriA Legend

Aug 5, 2002
    What do you guys think?

I'm just wondering if there had been a US journalist in Berlin in 1944 giving an interview to some Nazi paper or radio station about how the Normandy invasion was a complete favor because of high casualties and misunderstanding of the fierce and brave resistance of the valiant German soldiers - I'm wondering how long it would've taken for him to end up on an electric chair for treason after his return home?

2. DDRio

DDRio Legend

Mar 24, 2002
    Iraq monitors his reports.

3. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    sources, links, please.

4. DmitriA

DmitriA Legend

Aug 5, 2002
    Ok. I guess I'm the only one who saw it. Fox was showing it tonight.

Basically, this was not a report, but an interview Arnett gave to the Iraqi State TV where he was saying that the US war plan has FAILED because of the brave resistence of the Iraqi soldiers and that US is now rewriting the whole plan. He is also saying that his reports of civilian casualties is making an impact back home and that because of that the support for Bush and the war is dropping!
    If that's not treason (assuming he didn't have a gun to his head - but he certainly didn't look like it, in fact he was more than eager to volunteer all that B.S), I don't know what is

Here is the link - Peter Arnett to State-Run Iraqi TV: American War Plan Has Failed

5. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    This guy was fired from CNN for making up a story.The segment, narrated by Arnett, concerned Operation Tailwind, a secret incursion by Army special forces into Laos in September of 1970. The TV report, a production of CNN and Time magazine,(No Big Surprise) presented made up evidence that US commandos had used deadly sarin gas in an operation to kill American soldiers who had defected into Laos from Vietnam. He is a very sad man but should fit in very well at MSNBC.

6. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    From the link:

7. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    I think he should go to some of Saddams palaces in the evenings and do some reporting. ;) Any time after dark would suffice.

8. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    This is the same person who said he couldn't take sides in 1991's version of the Gulf War because of "journalistic standards" and that if he heard something that would help America back then that he wouldn't report it. I hope his career is finally done for good after this one.

9. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    I have an even better idea.
    A final interview with Saddam! He just has to leave his satellite phone with the GPS turned on when he goes to meet him. :D

10. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    It's Jane Fonda all over again. This guy is so outrageous that I wonder if he is really a CIA plant trying to cozy up to Iraq.

11. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    MSNBC just announced that he will no longer be "reporting" for them from Iraq. Now, they have taken half the step, it is time to fire him from National Geographic also.

12. Sandman

Sandman Godfather

Sep 23, 2002
    Fox is reporting that Arnette has been fired from NBC, MSNBC and National Geographic

Bob

13. jcrash

jcrash Legend

Jul 21, 2002

TREASON? God forbid someone be against the war and voice it. I see only an ethical conflict - reporters are supposed to report the news not be the news. It was poor judgment to imply he doesn't support the war effort, but other than that I have no beef with what he said. It certainly was NOT treason.

Folks, in case you hadn't noticed over HALF the world hates us now due to this "liberation" effort. It will take the US generations to recover from the social and geo-political problems caused by Bush's need to please Papa.

14. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Jerry Rivers has just been kicked out of bed by the troops in Iraq. Jerry is also known by some as Jeraldo Rivera and was embedded in Iraq with our forces. He has been sent packing for passing on sensitive information. This is per a report on CNBC. It's fun watching the media try to one up eachother. :D

15. DDRio

DDRio Legend

Mar 24, 2002
    It was improper for Peter Arnett to express his views on the issue. When I watch the news I just want the to see and watch truth not half truths with personal hidden agendas.

16. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    The trouble was that MSNBC wanted to capitalize on Arnett's ability to stay to stay in Baghdad while other western reporters have been kicked out, or worse. He really wasn't an MSNBC employee, but essentially a paid "stringer" because of his situation. He really works/worked for National Geographic. This little ploy backfired on NBC in their effort to get a scoop on Baghdad news. I would be surprised, however, if he isn't also fired from NG over this. I am not in favor of this war and even I found his commments offensive. He doesn't represent my point of view.

17. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Peter Arnett is not a "respected journalist". He is also not a traitor. He is just a dork with an extremely inflated opinion of his own importance.

He will now perversely get his wish for fame and recognition. He will forever be the example that journalism schools use to remind students that you are there to report the news, not create it.

18. The Old Wizard

The Old Wizard Legend

Mar 24, 2002
  19. platinum

platinum Godfather/Supporter

Oct 28, 2002
    I could care less if half the world hates us....the rest of the world can kiss my a**

20. sampatterson

sampatterson Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 27, 2002
    I don't like Peter Arnett but he does have a right to free speech and his own opinion. (probably against the rules of his contract with NBC/Natl Geographic though). He remarks, while dumb are not treason.