1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer Receiver to Another Account

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by property33, Apr 30, 2013.

  1. property33

    property33 Cool Member

    Nov 15, 2009
    I recently suspended my DirecTV service, I may actually close the account in the fall. I've got 3 HD DVRs-one of them being an HR 34/Genie, and one HD receiver. I have about 13 months left under contract, I think because of the Genie.

    Is it possible to transfer the Genie to someone else's account? My brother-in-law is a full time RV'r and they would like the extra recording/storage capacity. His RV is already set up with a SWM, not sure if it's 4/8. I know he's got 3 receivers running now. If this is possible, how would we go about doing it? I assume I'd have to call, give them his name/account number, send him the unit, then he'd have to call. Would his account then have my 13 month commitment & I would have no commitment?

    Apologies if this has been discussed-I did search first, both on this forum and others.
  2. Mike Greer

    Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

    Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Sorry - nope. Leased receivers can't be moved between accounts. Best to call DirecTV and see if there is anything you can do but you'll likely have to pay an early termination fee to close your account... And send back your leased equipment.
  3. Mike Bertelson

    Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

    Jan 24, 2007
    You can't transfer leased receivers/DVRs. If you close your account they will send a return kit for each receiver. If you owned any of the receivers that would be different.

  4. Beerstalker

    Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

    Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Like the others have said, you can't transfer your receivers/commitment to your brother. However, if he is out of contract then he could maybe cancel his service and return his receivers, and then you can move your account to his RV and use your receivers in it. Then have them add his name and use his address as the billing address for your account. However, if he stops paying his bill etc, it can still come back on you since it is still your account.

Share This Page