1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer Shows from DVR to PC or Hard Drive.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by xtc, Feb 11, 2018.

1. xtc

xtc Legend

Jun 26, 2004
    I know this has been brought up a lot over the years, but is there still no easy way to transfer shows from our DVRs to our PCs or Hard Drives? Is a Hauppauge HD PVR still the way to go or is there a better option?

I'm not looking to stream the shows using the DirecTV app or anything. Just move the shows to my PC or a Hard Drive and then erase them from the DVR.

2. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    I think that real-time transfer via analog signal using a Hauppage is still the only way to copy the shows, at least in something approaching full HD. Of course, if you're going to have to copy the shows in real-time, you may as well just watch them and delete them.

This is, of course, completely intentional. It's called copy protection. Hollywood does not want you copying their stuff. In the case of DirecTV, the shows are encrypted and encoded to the same physical DVR only. If you were to take the hard drive out and insert it into another of the same model DVR, you still could not watch most shows.

So don't count on there ever being an easy way to transfer shows. Sorry.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Yes, only online capture is avail;
    best way would be using PC HD video capture card with component inputs, just keep your TV on and must use HDMI output from the DVR to TV to keep component output signal

4. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I had a recordable DVD player that I used, but it was not in HD. It was good enough at the time when I had smaller TV. What I did was then create MKV from the DVD for streaming. I'd be interesting the PC HD video capture though.

5. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    I like Elgato Game Capture HD. it works great. requires play and record of course

and/or get yourself a really really big hard drive so you don't really even have to erase stuff.

6. xtc

xtc Legend

Jun 26, 2004
    All this is just too much work. I have had the Hauppauge HD PVR for several years and it is still unopened in its original retail box. If you need to do it in real time, you might as well WATCH it instead of recording and saving it. You can find most of the shows on your DVR online for downloading anyway. I just wanted to save space on my DVR by getting rid of stuff, but if it has to be in real time, its a waste of time. I am sure thats what the copy protection people wanted, a way to deter people from getting it, but anyone with half a brain knows where to get all these shows anyway, all they are doing is annoying people. And pushing them away from their service.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    No they aren’t. They are keeping people from owning it for free legally. I can’t blame them at all on that or you’d see people sharing full quality versions rampant with all their friends and family, and it’d collapse their industry like it did to music. It’s why tv can’t be compared to music, they will never allow the free for all music basically did for so long. If y u want to save it on your own system then you want to own it permanently, and that’s why they sell it on dvd and digital...

So much ends up on amazon or Netflix that after a shows next seasons starts you can usually find the last on one of those two services for most shows...

8. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    Wow. The music industry is hardly in trouble:

U.S. Music Industry Sees First Double Digit Growth in Almost 20 Years as Streaming Takes Over