Transfer to another DVR?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Chardo, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Chardo

Chardo AllStar

Apr 11, 2002
    Due to playback problems (jerks, skips, etc.), tech support recommends reformatting the hard drive in my HR21-700. Obviously this will wipe out all my recordings.

I have a second HR21 in another room. Is there a way to connect the two machines and transfer some saved programs to the good machine? Looking for something faster and easier than burning to my DVD recorder.

2. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    Nope, there's no way to copy between DVRs. A DVD recorder is your best option. Or a PC video capture card.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    There is a way to do it, but it's complicated. Gotta use a computer and doesn't sound like something the average person can do. You might want to send a PM to t_h and ask him about it.

Hope he doesn't mind me telling you this.

Rich

4. Chardo

Chardo AllStar

Apr 11, 2002
    PM to who? You can PM the name to me.

5. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    It is possible to transfer the recordings to another harddrive to be used on the same DVR. It is not possible to transfer to another DVR.

6. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    Although if there's a problem with the file system on the flaky HR2X, that problem could be transferred to the new drive.

7. dgobe

dgobe Legend

Dec 8, 2008
  8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Chardo, there is no way to transfer recordings from one DVR to another. Folks have managed a way to duplicate the data from one disk onto another and then use the new disk on the same receiver, though. I believe that is waht dgobe is referencing.

9. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    Good news and bad news. You cant transfer recordings from one machine to another. You can transfer recordings from the old hard drive on an HR to a new hard drive that will be connected to the same HR. If the hard drive thats giving you problems is inside the HR and not an external drive, you're not allowed to open the box to extract the hard drive without violating your lease agreement with directv.

Lastly, I dont think that "reformatting" will help, since it doesnt do a legitimate bad sector search/remap function. It just wipes out your recordings and settings. But it'll certainly resolve any attachments you have for your content.

If I were you, I'd watch anything important to me, do the "format" as they advise and then dont put anything important on the box until it exhibits its problems again, then have directv replace the receiver.

I guess there wasnt a whole lot of good news.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Wouldn't that solve his problem?

Rich

11. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    Yes, but as I mentioned if its an internal drive, he'd need to open it, pull the drive, copy the contents over to a new drive, and stick the new drive in the HR.

A no-no if you want to avoid problems with your lease from directv.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    But YOU "could" do it. I know you transferred the recordings from one eSATA to another eSATA and that worked, I gather? So the possibility exists to transfer recordings from one hard drive to another and play them back on the HR that made the recordings.

I know websites (well, I know one website, there must be more) that will take your HR and transfer your recordings on the internal drive to a larger internal drive that they then install on that same HR. And, I believe, that site could also do what you have done: Transfer the recordings on one eSATA to another eSATA. The new eSATA must be used in conjunction with the original HR.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    t_h, as I said in my post.

Rich

14. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    Yes I did do that per some instructions I found on this site, and it did work. Took a good long time though. Simpler than the old-style way of copying a tivo drive and with SATA, a drive copy on a 1tb drive took about the same time as a 400GB drive copy on the old tivo's IDE drives.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I apologize for dropping your name as I have been doing. Don't know who else to refer people to.

Been interesting to watch your posts and see the acceptance you have been getting. And your posts have been getting shorter and more to the point. Takes a special kind of mind to have the knowledge you do and be able to disseminate that knowledge at a level that most of us can understand.

Rich

16. Chardo

Chardo AllStar

Apr 11, 2002
    I went through with the reset/reformat recommended by DTV tech support. Didn't have too much critical stuff saved, so no real big loss. Had a marathon couch potato session to watch the must-see stuff.

Anyway, looks like problem solved. Concurrent recordings seem to play back normally. We'll see if it holds up.

17. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    No trouble Rich, but most of the time I'm just guessing at stuff.

Looking to help a little if I can.

But if you flatter me any more my wife is going to get jealous!:D