1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trekkies rejoice - new star trek blu ray releases coming

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by hdtvfan0001, Feb 16, 2009.

1. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
  2. WERA689

WERA689 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    Woo Hooo!!!!! Thanks, fan, this is GREAT news!!!!!

3. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I suspect there will be plenty of folks selecting something from this list of goodies.

The other good news is that it's not that long of a wait. :)

4. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    More goodies to wet the Star Trek Blu Ray fan appetite...

Attached Files:

5. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
  6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The movies are probably a day-one buy for me (I'll buy the whole set)... but I will probably have to wait for a sale on the TV sets.

I bought the DVD release a few years back at $99 per, so the Blu versions (reported to include original AND remastered versions) will be nice and probably around the same price but it will be harder to justify the re-buy on those for a while.

7. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I suspect I'll either get the full Blu Ray 6-Movie set or at least the 3-Movie Blu Ray Trilogy set.

Either way...seeing these in glorious HD will be fantastic.

Wrath of Khan (ST II) is remastered...it had to be since the original negative was in such poor condition.

8. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    If I had known this was 'news' I'd have put up a link to the discussions about it at HDD.com about 10 days back...

Once HD DVD was dead, with Paramount failing to push out the HD DVD sets they were working on of season 2 and season 3 of the original series, it was only a matter of time before there would be Blu-ray versions of the original series and the original movies. Paramount knows they're sitting on a gold mine with those titles and nothing will stop them from making big bank on same... even with a weak economy there'll be people spending the $$ without even blinkin'

9. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Can't seem to find any site called HDD.com...

Paramount's announcement was dated last week...so wondering how that site would have it ahead of time.....hmmm....

In any case, the HD DVD release of the First Season sold like hotcakes once they showed off the remastered special effects version....amazing indeed.

The Blu Ray (with 7.1 surround) should be even better...

10. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    HDD = HighDefDigest.com

Thread in forums: here as of 1/24/2009

11. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Strange...I'm on that site too almost every day and never saw that posting there....:eek2:...shame on me....

In any case....lots to look forward to....I suspect these will sell very well.

I suspect we'll see them listed on Amazon and other places soon.

12. bdowell

bdowell Icon

Mar 4, 2003
    As noted in discussion there, I think it'll really depend upon pricing and bundling constraints that might influence the pricing on the whole. If the prices are kept reasonable (there's some discusssion there on possible pricing for season 1 TOS set that seems like it might actually be priced at levels that are almost reasonable...) they could sell a ton, but if they jack the prices up and/or get stupid and require people buying the movies to buy the complete set and not just singles it could keep the sales down for a while.

I have the first season (of TOS) on HD DVD and have no intention of going back to buy it on Blu-ray at this point. The only thing that would convince me otherwise would be prices that are just so insanely tempting that I'd feel like an idiot if I didn't take advantage. Even then, well, I'd likely still save my money if possible, and maybe, just maybe, spend it on season 2 or season 3.

In truth, there's one or two of the films that I'd be interested in owning, and about 4 - 5 episodes from the second and third season of TOS that I'd like to have. While I enjoy the rest, I don't consider them all must owns and don't really want to pay that much.

13. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I don't have any Trek on DVD, so I will definitely be getting Wrath of Khan once it comes out.

14. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    Wrath of Kahn, Voyage Home, and Undiscovered Country are great...

But, I want First Contact. That's by far my favorite :)

15. WERA689

WERA689 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    I'm a huge fan, but Undiscovered Country sucked.

I have season one of TOS on HDDVD, and the phaser remote.

16. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Bring It......

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :)

Mike

17. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I suspect you'll see these at Amazon and other places at a competitive price. Actually, the MSRP prices are lower than other similar Blu Ray packages I've seen to start with...so these will likely sell well.

If anyone has seen the digital remastered scenes that were done in the HD DVD version for TOS....you'll be very impressed with the imagery...they've now raised the bar further in the audio for Blu Ray...

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Well you know what I'll be doing...

19. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    And wait for the Super Deluxe Set when they decide to release the director's Cut of each movie on Blu-Ray. The release I read specifically said "theatrical cut" of the 6 "TOS" movies.

20. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    They won't be doing the Super-Extended cut of ST:TMP (the first one) because all the new effects were produced in SD. Short-sighted, that. Also, all the restorations to the other movies were also done in SD. That's why they are leading with the theatrical versions.

I am a little bummed that at this point I can't pick and choose which movies I'd like to see. Star Treks 1,2,4,6, and First Contact would be the only ones I'd buy, and 1 is sort of iffy. So I'll start with the 2-3-4 set and when the others are available individually I'll buy those.