1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tricky Installation. Need Help!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mrfatboy, Sep 30, 2011.

1. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    Hey everybody,

My retired father has finally seen the light and signed up for directv. I thought that was going to be the tough part but in trying to prepare for the installation it looks very tricky. I hope you guys can help out with recommendations.

His house is a older two story house with a detached Garage/Shed. He has ordered the HDVR and Receiver with Whole Home and Cinema connection kit.

The house has cable home run to the Garage. DSL comes from the Garage down to the 2nd floor to his only computer. That's were the router is located. The house is NOT wired for ethernet.

The install comes next Tue. What are your recommendations how to do this install. Where to you put all the connection hardware? The only thing I can think of is doing a wireless connection from the HDVR to the wireless router. Do I need to buy the wireless adapter a head of time or will he have one on the truck?

What do you guys think is the best way to do this?

[​IMG]

2. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    71 people looked but no suggestions? This is no the dbstalk that I know :)

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Dont know why the dish has to be on the garage...assuming the house has no line of sight?
    In any case, the installer would have to run from the dish to the house, install a 4 way splitter at the house, run 3 coax cables, one to each DirecTv box, and a third to the router. At the router, he would install the internet connection kit.

4. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    Currently all the RG6 is home run to the garage. It makes sense to have the splitter & dish there. I came up with the same (i think) solution as you. The installer would have to run an extra coax from the Garage down to the computer router. Then hook up to a deca unit to router. It would be about 100 to 150 feet of rg6.

All three runs of rg6 (i'm guessing) are somewhere between 75 and 150 feet. I hope that will work.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    One line from shed to home. There is signal lost for MRV with several 75' to 150' runs.

6. Oct 1, 2011 #6 of 14
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Skip the garage and just tie into the home line on the outside. Put the dish on the house and if you want service in the garage connect that line to a splitter.

VoS has a great post about db loss due to length of runs you should look up, but adding a run that long prior to a splitter is just reducing your db for no reason. The internet can be wireless so that's not a factor. I would call prior to the installation to ensure that it's a wireless kit that's on the order or you may have to modify the order and reschedule.

7. Oct 1, 2011 #7 of 14
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Also, if you go wireless connection kit, you don't need to have a run for it. It can hook up in line like a regular dcea adapter at one of the receivers now (even if it doesn't need a deca). No need to waste wire.

8. Oct 1, 2011 #8 of 14
    CMD

CMD New Member

Oct 1, 2011
    You should try and put dish setup on corner of house instead as the others have suggested and run the split from the house as Shades suggested. Also, as Shades suggested, call to make sure the technician brings a wireless connection kit so it isn't rescheduled.

9. Oct 1, 2011 #9 of 14
    mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    As I said before (see diagram) the house is already pre wired with RG6 and homerun'd to the Garage. That's just how they did it when the house is built. The garage is very close to the house anyways. The splitter has to go in the Garage.

It seems running a third coax down to the router (100-150') would be the best bet. The dish to splitter would be about 10-20'.

I will call the installer and make sure he brings the wireless connection kit.

thanks for the info.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If you scheduled the install through DirecTV, I think you have to call them and have them add the wireless kit to the order.

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Hey, I had to go somewhere for a few days, give me a break. :lol:

So with this layout, 250' from dish to farthest receiver should be fine.
    The PI can go before the splitter or on the power passing leg after it.
    The BB DECA is the wireless BB DECA that has the pass through option.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I'm curious;

Are these cables running from the shed underground or buried?

Since DIRECTV does not string or allow their signals to be run through cables in the air, if you insist on a dish installation on the shed then for an additional cost the installer would likely place a dish with a SWiM LNB on the shed with a single line run underground to the house where a 2 x 1 SWiM splitter would be installed branching off to the two receivers with the WiFi enabled CCK as VOS illustrates.

Or to a 4 x 1 splitter at the home to two receivers and a wired CCK and the fourth output capped or connected to a PI.

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Actually DECA/MRV being a lower frequency than the SWiM, will have less loss, so the SWiM signals would fail before the MRV would.

The SWiM to receiver has a max loss of about 30 dB [splitter/cables].
    The DECA range is above 40 dB of loss.
    Now where there can be problems is when there are very long cable runs from the splitter, as the SWiM would only need to pass once through these to each receiver, while the DECA would have to pass through two runs [and the splitter] between two receivers. Even in this case, if from an 8-way splitter to each receiver was 250', there would still be over 10 dB of DECA signal strength before the PHY Levels had any problems.
    This is about 100' farther than the SWiM can work.

14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Again, don;t run another line for the ICK. See VOS's diagram. You'd be wasting, time money, energy, and creating more points of failure and putting more holes and running more wire than needed. Make it simple. The diagram is how mine is set up, it works flawlessly. :D