1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triple LNB dish setup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by pstnbly, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pstnbly

pstnbly New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Hi all, newbie here, hope someone can help. I'm trying to install a 3 LNB oval to my HR10-250.

Here's the issue, 110 sat good numbers mid 90s, 119 no signal ( ok I know that's the hard one) but zip zero nada no way, and here's the confusing one 101 I get only txp 28 30 32 and good numbers, no other tpx's.

Basically have swept the sky trying to dial in 101 and never get any other tpx's, I'm pretty sure my setup was good initially 'cause at start up I got the same as I have now with no fiddling.

My round dish works fine on this reciever when I switch back, (and for the record I set that one up with my compass and hit high 90's to 100 without ever touching it again).

anyway I'm thinking it's a bad LNB but I'm looking for input from you wizzes, Thanks

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Could be a bad LNB. But I'm confused by your statement "... 101 I get only txp 28 30 32 and good numbers, no other tpx's." That usually means you're aimed at the wrong satellite. You should see signals on most all of the 101 satellite transponers (1-32), while the 110-deg satellite has only 3 transponers. Those show up at 8, 10, 12 if you're properly aimed, or 28, 30 and 32 if you're not. The 119-deg satellite will then have signals on most of the transponders from 22-32.

3. pstnbly

pstnbly New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    OK thats a thought, I used coordinates that dtv gave, double checked with dishpointer and it lit right up 101 and 110. I've never set up a triple before, any hints are welcome, Thanks

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The 3-LNB dish uses different aiming coordinates than the single LNB dish. Your single LNB is aimed at 101-deg W, while the 3-LNB dish is aimed at 110-deg W.

Your receiver should be able to provide the correct aiming coordinates for your 3-LNB dish.

5. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Litzdog911 is correct. You're pointed at 110.
    From the position of standing behind the dish:
    1) raise the elevation 2 or3 degrees
    2) swing the azimuth 5 to 10 degrees to the left (eastward)

101 should then light up. 1 or 2 degree elevation changes and 5 to 10 degree swings left or right should locate the satellite.

The mast has to be plumb and level. Get a torpedo level to check.

Once 101 is fine tuned, adjust the tilt and fine tune 119.
    The 110 will be in line automatically.
    Good luck

Doctor j

6. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006

He's got the 3lnb dish, so there is no fine tuning.

I agree with litzdog911. It sounds like you have it centered on the 101. Make sure the mount is plumb and the settings are correct, then move it a few degrees to the west.

7. pstnbly

pstnbly New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Thanks for the replies, sounds plausible, although I'm pointed 10 degrees west of where my round is pointed. I used DTV's numbers and dishpointer's for this dish.

I'm going to try tomorrow whe I have some help, I'll let you know how it goes

Thank again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.