Troubeshooting HR24 issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gusbuf, Jan 18, 2020.

1. gusbuf

gusbuf DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Hello everyone. Forgive me if this has been posted, as I have not been on the boards for a long time. I did search and could not find related posts to my problem.

Over the past couple weeks, while watching anything, be it live TV, recorded shows, or on-demand, we get constant interruptions of what we are watching. The screen goes black, with no picture or sound, then comes back for a few seconds, then it happens again for a few seconds, then we are ok for a few minutes, and then the whole process seems to randomly repeat itself. Its kind of like when the DVR is set to native, and you turn the station to another station, and you get the audio/video switching delay with screen flashes until the new channel comes on, except, in this case, it happens consonantly, and not when I am turning to another station. It is basically impossible to watch anything on it anymore. Obviously, as it is an HR24, it is no spring chicken as far as DVR's go. Have had it for a number of years now. We also have an HR44 Genie as our main DVR, plus a very old HR20-700, and a H32 client However, we have had no problems up to now with the HR24. Swapped out HDMI cables and it made no difference. Is our DVR shot? Inquiring minds want to know! Any advice, opinions, and expertise greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Perform a BIST (Built-in Self Test) on your HR24. Reset your HR24. When you see "Just a few more seconds..." on your TV screen using your DIRECTV remote press SELECT. This will bring up the BIST menu. Follow the prompts.

gusbuf likes this.
  3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Edit: Did not read the whole post before posting.

My son's H24 had a problem last week. He had a Guide but no picture or sound. I unplugged his H24 from the AC power and waited 15 seconds and plugged it back in. After going thru the usual start up procedures the unit came on and worked like it is supposed to.
    You might try this also.

gusbuf likes this.
  4. gusbuf

Aug 20, 2006
    Thanks for this advice. Will try this today.

5. gusbuf

Aug 20, 2006
    Sadly, power cycling like you describe has not worked to resolve this issue. But thank you for your response nonetheless. Much appreciated!

jimmie57 likes this.
  6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    DVR's HDMI connector become flaky and require re-soldering

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sounds like your HR has a hard drive problem. You have a couple choices. You can get a replacement which will have an old HDD in it. It will probably seem like it's okay at first but the same thing will happen eventually. Or you can put an external drive on the HR and you'll see the problems go away. Running the diagnostic tests will tell you if the HDD is shot but won't tell you it's marginal.

Smart thing to do is the external eSATA drive. We can help you with that.

Rich

8. gusbuf

Aug 20, 2006
    I finally did the BIST. Went through pretty much every individual test it offered. At the end, it came up with nothing wrong. I restarted the DVR afterwards, only to have a picture, but no sound. Restarted again, and have no picture or soubd at all now. Restarted again, and still nothing. The DVR is on, the front panel shows it is responding to remote signals, but nothing is happening. Any other suggestions short of contacting Directv to get a replacement?

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Have you tried bypassing any other items in the signal line like the AVR and go straight to the TV from the H24 with the HDMI cable to eliminate the possibility that the problem is there ?

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    try direct connection to TV all audio outputs of the DVR - HDMI, optical, L+R RCA...

11. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You can also try changing the HR24's location. If the issue persists at the HR24's new location you'll know the box is defective and needs replacing. If not, then something at the HR24's original location is causing the issue.

12. gusbuf

Aug 20, 2006
    This is in my bedroom. Everything goes right I to the TV. No AV Receiver or sound bar. Direct Hdmi hooked up from the HR24 to my Sony TV

13. gusbuf

Aug 20, 2006
    If the problem is the HDMI out port on the DVR, does that require a replacement, or can that part be replaced easily?

14. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    If the HDMI out port on you HR24 is not working properly your HR24 will have to be replaced.

15. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Use the other out puts on the back of the HR24 R +G+Y and Red & White for audio --You will still get 1080i

16. gusbuf

Aug 20, 2006
    Thanks everyone for your input. It is very much appreciated. I now feel pretty foolish, as it turns out that the culprit was just the HDMI cable itself. I swapped the HDMI cables between the HR24 and our Panasonic Blu-ray player. The HR24 works fine, and the Blu-ray has no picture or sound. Go figure it was something so simple, yet I immediately assumed it was more than that.

242424 likes this.
  17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    that's typical end-user's jump :)

18. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The Premium HDMI Cable Certification Program Label.png Always use HDMI cables that have this seal.

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't feel bad, HDMI cables rarely fail. But the cable should always be a suspect. Especially when you consider how easy it is to swap cables. Always do the easy things first.

Rich