Trouble Communicating With Dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Rob37, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    This past Thursday I had a Tech come here to fix a problem that I have been experiencing on 1 receiver. I have been getting a message on the 1 receiver telling me "Trouble Communicating With Dish" Error Code 775. So I explain to him the only way that I have been getting the receiver back working is to remove the coax cable and screw it back in the back of the receiver. It gets back to working every time. So he says it is a Power Issue and he reinstalled a new SWIM. Also he said I had a bad connection in that Cable and he replaced that connector that he said was "Bad" in my attic where the cable runs through to the front of the house where the receiver is located. It is the receiver that is furthest away from the dish that is experiencing this. Well everything has been working great until Sunday (Today) and it just went out again telling me "Trouble Communicating With Dish" Error Code 775. I have had a new SWIM installed and bad connector replaced. The only thing left I can think of is the Cable is Not an RG6. It is and RG59 and he said that should be fine for a High Def Receiver but yet the receiver has went out again. Anyone know what might be causing this and should I insist on them installing a new RG6 Coax Cable and have them run a fresh new cable to my dish? I have already called the Tech Back and left a message on his voice mail as he instructed me to do when he left his number with me when the work was completed on Thursday.

2. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    Do this... take that receiver and connect it where you have another receiver and see if it continues to do the same thing.... IF so you have a bad receiver... IF it doesn't then it may be the line or the SWM splitter or a bad or unapproved barrel connector.... Is that cable running thru the wall?

jimmie57 likes this.
  3. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    The Tech that was here checked the Cable. He found what he said was a Bad Barrel Connector and he Replaced it. He said that was more than likely what my problem was. And he replaced the SWIM. The Cable runs through the attic. The Receiver might go a week and work perfectly. It might go 3 weeks and work without a flaw. Recently it will work only about a week and then go out. It was going for about 3 weeks then go out. Now it is starting to do it more like every week. Now that you said it could be a bad receiver I am thinking it may be because it’s the only receiver that does it. All my other three H25/500 HD Receivers are working flawless and I like them and do not want them changed.

4. dall08fan

dall08fan Cool Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Its the receiver. I had the same problem and the tech did almost everything your tech did and in the end had to get a new receiver.

5. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    I will be on the horn tomorrow with that tech.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Before you do that, I'd strongly suggest rereading post #2 of this thread and doing what that member suggested. The most you can do before an installer comes out is...the best thing you can do. Elimination by substitution is a great step to take when troubleshooting.

Rich

7. vikecowboy

vikecowboy AllStar

Jul 30, 2007
    We had the same issue after moving into an apartment. Tech came out and looked at satellite's signal strength (transponders) and one of them had an "X" marked on it. He then went and did some reconfiguration (don't know exactly what he did but he fixed it). Since one of the satellite's strength was not good that explained why it would not happen very often - only if watching a channel on that satellite. Sorry I don't know what he did - it was in an apartment.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017