1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble Getting Signal with 18" Round

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by hartwa, Jun 27, 2010.

1. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    Hi...

I am hoping that someone can help.

Yesterday we got hooked up with DTV. I previosly had dish network. I told the tech that I had a couple of old DTV dishes at our cabin and I was wondering if I could tak one of the single recievers up there when we are on vacation. He said they would work with the 18" round dishes. The recievers are H24-100.

I have been trying to hook one of them up and cannot find the signal. I have the direction and angle set as close as I can with a compass and using the gauge of the pipe. The pipe is plumb.

I have the reciever set on 18" dish and using a multiswich type. I turn on the receiver...it eventually goes to code 771 "searching for signal". I go into menu and setup to set it to the correct dish type and switch type and then hit continue. It verifies connection and then tells me that it could not detect a signal and I should verify the set up.

I appreciate any help I can get with this...

Hartwa.

2. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    I forgot to mention the LNB that I am using id brand new... I had one in a box that has never seen the weather.

Thanks...

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Put it into signal strength mode, single transponder, set it to 101 tr 4, and slowly sweep the dish left/right. If no signal, change elevation a bit, and retry. Make sure the BBC (if any) is not connected to the receiver.

4. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    Thanks for the help...

Will it grab the signal instantaneous or do I need to let it set for 10 seconds or so in each spot?

Thanks again...

5. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    You need to redo Satellite Setup, and select the right kind of dish.

6. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    Hmmm.... sorry I amnot sure what you mean. I need to get out of the signal meter screen each time I move it and re-select the satellite set up to the correct dish? So far the reciever only defaults to the slimline dish when I hit the red re-set button.

Sorry I don't understand...

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Go into Satellite Setup
    Select 18" dish
    Arrow over to signal meter

There are two signal meter pages, one shows the whole satellite at once, and the other shows just ONE TRANSPONDER on ONE SAT. Thats the one you want. Go to SAT 101, and you should have have a bar showing "Not Aquired" Keep it on that screen, and aim your dish. Once you get a signal on that screen, then exit and hit continue.

8. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The biggest problem DIY'ers make is trying to use the center of the bold to set the elevation. That is wrong. Depending on the dish, may or may not be a painted line on one of the sides to set elevation by. Some even had a little pointer. Either way, the bolt is not what you set it by.

9. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    Thanks... I think I am on the right screen. It says "tuner1: not aquired" on the left... Sat 101 on the right and transponder 4 right below that.

I have been sweeping the dish but have not gotten a signal yet...do i have to leave it one spot for a period of time or should the signal be instanteous?

Thanks again...

10. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    thanks for your reponse...I am using the white marker...not the bolt. Thanks again.

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    It will take a second to lock. Change 1 or 2 degrees, wait a sec, then 1 or two more.
    Usually, the problem with not being able to find 101 is the elevation or a bad coax connector.

12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Another thing I forgot to mention, if your cabin is more than 50 miles north or south of your original location, make sure you enter the correct zip for the cabin, or the elevation settings will be wrong. If your cabin is further north , the elevation will be lower than the screen indicates for your home.

13. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    I am using RG-6U cable...is there a special cable for these HD recievers?

14. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    No, cable is fine. Just make sure the connectors dont have any stray wires shorting them out to the center conductor.

15. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    Ok thanks again... Still no luck. I will keep trying.

Does it matter if the LNB is just setting in the boom? I see there is supposed to be a screw there but it is missing...does that screw maybe ground the LNB to the dish?

16. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    No, it might change the elevation a little, but not necessary to work.

Do you have a camera that you could send a pic of the elevation settings you are using, and where abouts your cabin is located?

17. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    I am in Chippewa Falls WI 54729. The elevation is 38° and the azmuth is supposed to be 193°. I have a camera on my phone but no way to get it on the page.

18. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Sent PM

19. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    thanks for the help...I just sent pics.

20. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Go back to 38 (think thats what its supposed to be at right?) and then drop one at a time. Also make sure you arent pointed at any trees.

Check the other side of the dish also, and make sure there isnt a reversed elevation scale.

Also try transponder 1.

Im assuming you are sweeping the azimuth between each elevation change right?

Attached Files: