1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble with broadband deca

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by bsteeler05, Dec 15, 2010.

1. bsteeler05

bsteeler05 Mentor

Oct 25, 2007
    I have a HR21 that ihave set up with a Deca for WHV and works great. I got a broadband deca cause I want internet access for the HR21 as well, but an not getting a connection. I have it hooked up like this:

I split the line going into the origina deca, then ran one bac into the deca along with one into the broadband deca. I then hooked the ethernet cable from the broadband deca to a wireless gaming unit. Everything is lit up as if its working, however no connection is being detected.
    I did I hook this up right?
    Any help someone can give would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Guess two things to check:

- Are you sure that your wireless gaming unit has a connection back to your router?

- If yes to the prior question have you rebooted all your DirecTV receivers since connecting to your network? If you haven't done that you need to reboot for the receivers to pick up the IP addressing for your network, subnet mask and default gateway.

3. bsteeler05

bsteeler05 Mentor

Oct 25, 2007
    Yes, I am getting a connection with my wireless gaming adapter. I reset all 3 receivers, still no connection. Any other ideas???

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Check the network settings on the receivers to see if they're getting the IP addressing info for your network/mask/GW, if it doesn't match your network you're not going to get on your network.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    And you do have a PI for the Broadband DECA, correct?

Also, can you give us the IP address that is listed for each of your receivers? They should be something to the effect of 192.168.x.x. If they are showing up as 169.254.x.x, then they are not seeing your router.

Lastly, hook up a laptop via ethernet to the wireless gaming adapter and verify that its settings are correct and that the laptop is obtaining an IP address to the effect of 192.168.x.x.

- Merg

6. bsteeler05

bsteeler05 Mentor

Oct 25, 2007
    Ok, I do have the PI for the Broadband deca.

I am not getting the 192 IP address on the receiver, but I am getting it off my laptop as it is connected to the wireless gaming adapter as I type this.

Do I have the spliter in the right place? Any other suggestions?

IP on reciver is 169 254 129 105

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Try resetting the network defaults and then "connect now" and maybe pick wireless when asked.

8. bsteeler05

bsteeler05 Mentor

Oct 25, 2007
    Well, that didn't work either....Anything else I can try???

9. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Any chance as a temporary test you can run coax or ethernet to where your router is to elminate the wireless adapter as the cause of it not getting on the network?

10. bsteeler05

bsteeler05 Mentor

Oct 25, 2007

Not right now, I don't have an ethernet cable long enough. I can get one from work tomorrow and try it. I know it talks to the router, my laptop worked just fine off it.

I'm just wondering if I have it split incorrectly? or need to split it earlier????

11. cherry919

cherry919 Cool Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I think we will be able to better help you if you give a detailed description of all your equipment (so far we know of (1) HR-21 ) and possibly a rough diagram of how your system is laid out. Questions: Does the splitter you used to add the BB DDECA have a green label? What router are you using? Is is set up for DHCP? Thanks.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    From this "Everything is lit up as if its working", it suggests you have all green LEDs, which should mean the splitter is done correctly.

13. bsteeler05

bsteeler05 Mentor

Oct 25, 2007
    I have a green splitter outside from the dish which runs 4 lines inside. One goes to a HR20 with a deca, one goes to another H20 with a deca, one goes to the HR21 with deca and the fourth runs into the PI inside. The splitter I used from the deca to the HR21 to the broadband deca is not a green splitter, just a normal splitter. Is that the problem???
    I am using a Belkin G router with Belkin G wireless gaming adapter

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes that could be the problem. The output port to output port attenuation of a regular splitter my be too high at the DECA frequencies. Use a 1x2 green label one.

Also, how can you have an "H20" receiver with a DECA dongle? It is not capable of WHDVR service as it doesn't have an ethernet port. Did you mean a "Band Stop Filter" (BSF) is attached to it?

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    We need more information.
    The increased [isolation] loss of a non green splitter, in this case should still be within the DECA range, "but" as I've asked above, are all the DECA LEDs green?
    If so, then "this splitter" isn't the cause.
    If the cLink is yellow, or blinking, then there is a problem with the DECA signal.

16. bsteeler05

bsteeler05 Mentor

Oct 25, 2007
    All deca lights are green on both the Broadband dfeca and the other deca unit. MRV is working just as it did before, just not able to get internet connection

17. bsteeler05

bsteeler05 Mentor

Oct 25, 2007
    Sorry, I guess it's an HR21. No band stop filter, has ethernet.

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    For S&G's, can you switch the Broadband DECA with one of the other DECAs that you have? After you do that, reset the Network Setup on your receivers and see what happens.

- Merg

19. bsteeler05

bsteeler05 Mentor

Oct 25, 2007
    Yeah, I could try that.

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This points to the RF/DECA as being active, so this leaves the BB DECA to router as where the problem lies.
    With a hardwired BB DECA, simply resetting the network defaults and selecting "connect now", then wired [if asked] gets you up and going.