Trouble with local channels availability

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rakeegan, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Aug 7, 2017 #1 of 22
    rakeegan

rakeegan New Member

Aug 7, 2017
    I live right on the edge of a DMA in north Central South Dakota and DirecTV says they don't offer locals in my zip code. The channels show up on my receiver as channels I receive but when i click on them they say I need to subscribe to them. The two zips that are on either side of us (literally less than 2 miles on either side) receive local programming and the local cable company and Dish offers locals for the Dma I'm in. The tech people at DirecTV just continue to read off the script and say that they just don't offer locals in my zip. One customer service rep said most likely it is because we are on the edge of the Dma that their Network doesn't understand where to put us. Is there anyone else other than tech support that a guy could talk to to try to get local programming restored or am I just SOL?

2. Aug 7, 2017 #2 of 22
    richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    SOL, DirecTV has to follow rules and regs set by FCC. You may be able to get network channels from NYC or LA.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

3. Aug 7, 2017 #3 of 22
    rakeegan

rakeegan New Member

Aug 7, 2017
    I understand there are FCC regulations, but we are in a DMA and other companys offer locals. I have contacted the FCC as well to see what the deal is there but haven't heard anything back. National feeds would be fine, but it screws up local football games, the whole reason I switched with DirectTV having Sunday ticket.

4. Aug 7, 2017 #4 of 22
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    What's your zip code and county?

As for cable they're governed by a different set of rules when it comes to carriage of locals compared to satellite providers. I can't say why Dish can without knowing your specific zip code and county though. (i.e. it could be one of those bordering things, and you're on the other side in a smaller DMA that Dish carries but DirecTV doesn't, or it could be a spotbeam issue)

Also, for NFL games, try using Fox Sports Go, even if you don't get your locals, you'll be able to stream the game your local Fox station is airing. (If you have at least 4-6 Mbps speeds the stream will be in 720p)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  5. Aug 7, 2017 #5 of 22
    rakeegan

rakeegan New Member

Aug 7, 2017
    5601 and Walworth county. I will definitely look into Fox sports go. Thanks for the suggestion

6. Aug 7, 2017 #6 of 22
    rakeegan

rakeegan New Member

Aug 7, 2017
    Sorry the zip is 57601

7. Aug 7, 2017 #7 of 22
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    You're listed as "Unserved - Sioux Falls SD" in the lookup tool, which usually means a spot beam issue.

I'll check the map later to see what it says for that spot beam's coverage.

8. Aug 7, 2017 #8 of 22
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Are the two zips within 2 miles of you in the same DMA as you or a different one?

9. Aug 7, 2017 #9 of 22
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    I just checked the spot beam map, 57601 is on the fringe of the spot beam that carries the Sioux Falls locals.

The neighboring zip codes to the north and west of 57601 that have locals are in the Minot-Bismark DMA which is on a different satellite and spot beam, while the zip code to the east can get Sioux Fall's locals but it's closer to the center of the spot beam. The zip code to the south is also listed as unserved.

The way the spot beams are, the further away you get, the quicker the signal starts dropping, so even a few miles can make a difference when you're at the fringe.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  10. rakeegan

rakeegan New Member

Aug 7, 2017
    What's the odds of me getting locals in the future do you think? Thanks for looking by the way. If the DirecTV tech people would have told me that instead of going through the scripted cues they are suppose to I wouldn't be so frustrated.

11. rakeegan

rakeegan New Member

Aug 7, 2017
    The one of the east side of me is in the same DMA. I literally drive to the edge of town and I'm in that zip code. The other across the river is in another, which is why I think we are left out.

12. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    At quick glance, I don't see any unused spotbeams that would better cover that market with the current satellites.

Maybe if the next satellite D16 has a spotbeam that better covers the Sioux Falls market it's possible, but no details are known about it yet and it's several years away.

13. rakeegan

rakeegan New Member

Aug 7, 2017
    Awesome....There is probably no way to try the spot beam we are on the edge of either?

14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Well you could borrow someone’s receiver in the market you are in that is closer and connect it at your house and see if it works.

jimmie57 likes this.
  15. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Being on the edge of the beam means it will work, just slightly below the margin Directv wants. Your local channels would be a little bit more subject to rain fade than the rest of your channels.

So I'm sure it would work, that's not the problem...

16. rakeegan

rakeegan New Member

Aug 7, 2017
    Yeah that's kind of what I figured....I wish that they would at least give the option to have locals with less quality but I don't know how you would be able to get in touch with someone that would have the ability to try to do that.

17. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    When a person takes a road trip in their RV for an extended time they sometimes have the Service Address changed to where they are and leave the Billing address alone. Couldn't this user try that and use one of the zip codes that works ?

18. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    Enter Address
    Have channels 389-399
    E&W,
    [396E 397W ABC, 390E 391W CBS, 398E 399W FOX, 392E 393W NBC] HD,
    [394E 395W] CW SD
    E Only (net out of VA not a sat broadcast)
    [389E] PBS SD

All you are eligible for is ABC E&W HD + [CW E&W and PBS] SD
    You'll need an HR20, or HR21-HR54 with AM21 for OTA (You have a Grade A signal)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  19. rakeegan

rakeegan New Member

Aug 7, 2017
    So if i get one of those receivers I could get my local channels OTA? Where would I go to get one of those?

20. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Try this tool. Dont put in your account number, but the city, state and zip. You should qualify to apply for a waiver for any local your not getting. Not supposed to be that way but DirecTV's site always had all available to apply for that you were not currently getting even if there was an affiliate in the DMA you belong to (that they were not carrying). Let me know the results. Also, are there any of the big 4 (ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX) that are not available in your DMA (no matter who the provider or if you had a huge antenna)? In my DMA there is no CW but that is not one of the major 4. Let me know what the tool shows. If you could post a pic.

Local/Network Channel Availability | DIRECTV