Troubleshooting Multiswitch/LNB issue - no odd 101 and 99

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by OnTheRidge, Mar 19, 2011.

1. OnTheRidge

OnTheRidge Cool Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I have an HR24 and two DirecTivos; the HR24 and one of the DirecTivos (haven't checked the other) are showing 0 signal strength on all of the odd transponders on 101 and 99(c).
    I can move the problem from odd to even by switching the two lower (99/101) cables from the dish into the WB68. I'm not sure if I would be able to tell anything more by swapping the same cables at the other end (other than to eliminate a possible cable problem, which seems unlikely; it's a continuous run from the WB68 up to the dish). Can I hook the DirecTivo directly to the line from the dish to test the LNB? I also have an older 2x4 multiswitch from before HD was introduced that I could use for testing.

I have a service plan, so my next step is probably to call DTV, but if it's something simple that I can fix, it will save the hassles of the appointment.

I also have an app't scheduled for April 1 to replace the DirecTivos with H2x and HR2x, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to mix the current problem with the new install.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    You can run the lines straight from a legacy (4output lnb) to the receiver for testing by passing the 6x8

Hook both up if you have dual tuners. You will either find a cable bad, or the lnb most likely, if you still have zeros, try one of the other 3 cables from the lnb. If you have one cable showing zeroes, obviously replace that cable.

Just barrel connect the lines taken off the switch for testing, making a straight through cable.

3. OnTheRidge

OnTheRidge Cool Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Only have one cable to the DirecTivo at the moment, but will try bypassing the 6x8 via the two LNB cables (one at a time) that are currently connected to the 99/101 ports. If they both work, it's the 6x8. If one doesn't, then I can swap them at the dish to isolate cable vs. LNB.

4. OnTheRidge

OnTheRidge Cool Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Thanks Jodean. Bypassing the switch shows the problem is either cable or LNB. Time to call DTV.