1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to understand.....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by topgun80, Jun 3, 2010.

1. topgun80

topgun80 AllStar

Oct 6, 2008
    Could somebody please explain or point me to a link that explains SWM. I currently have a slimline 5 dish with 4 cables coming into my house. I don't know what kind of switch the installer put under my house but I have 2 cables running to each HR22. What do I need to upgrade to HR24's with MRV? I don't want bbc's or anything else hanging off the back of these receivers. Evidently I need a SWM system but I don't have a clue what that consists of, different dish, wiring, switches, etc. Any guidance for a technical newbie would be greatly appreciated.

2. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
  3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If you currently have two DVRs with two cables to each, you probably dont have a switch. What you would need to upgrade to two HR24s would be:
    1 SWMLine5 LNB
    1 SWMline power inserter
    1 four port green dot splitter
    1 DECA adapter to bridge to your router (if internet access needed)
    1 DECA power supply (if internet access needed)

Replace current lnb with new SWM lnb
    connect short RG6 cable from SWM LNB to your access point into the house (where the 4 cables are going in now). Cut them there, attach a coax connector, and hook them to splitter. Attach line from LNB to splitter input. Attach one of the two cables at each DVR to the new HR24. On one of the cables, attach the power inserter. This will need to be the cable attached to the power pass port on the splitter. Connect deca to internet router, and plug one of the two remaining cables into the deca.

4. topgun80

topgun80 AllStar

Oct 6, 2008
    Thank you very much.