1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuner 2 issues on 99 & 103

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Tom M, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Tom M

Tom M Legend

Jan 3, 2007
    I've got a strange problem going on with tuner 2 but it only seems to be impacting the 99(c) and 103(ca) & 103(cb) signals.

I've got slimline with integrated SWM running directly to an HR20-700 with a flat cable coax in the middle of the run to get through a window and the total run is about 40 feet of RG6. The signal levels on tuner 1 are all good with 99(c) in the high 80s and 103(ca) & 103(cb) in the mid-high 90s. The problem is that the tuner 2 reading fluctuate all over the place as it doesn't seem to maintain lock. If I watch the readings as they cycle around they can be in the mid-high 80's and the next time the same transponder will read 0. The 101 and 119 satellites seem fine on both tuners.

I recently relocated (everything worked fine at the old location as far as I know) and installed a new dish and cable runs but I don't see how they could be the culprit if the tuner 1 signals are where they are. I'm hoping it's not a box problem as I've got quite a few recordings I'd hate to lose. :nono:

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Have you tried resetting the DVR?

3. Tom M

Tom M Legend

Jan 3, 2007
    A reset has no impact. I guess I'll try powering it off overnight and see what it is when it starts up from cold.

4. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    Had the same thing happen to me on an HR20-100. Ended up getting it replaced under PP. You can test it by tuning to an HD channel on Tuner 1, pausing and going to an HD channel on Tuner 2. If you get Searching for Satellite Signal, you have a bad tuner. SD will work fine, so it must have something to do with the KA Band tuner.

5. Tom M

Tom M Legend

Jan 3, 2007
    Well, I don't have the PP and would prefer not to get hung up on another 2 year commitment if I can avoid it. The internal drive died about 2 years ago so I may be resigned to having to get it replaced and lose my recordings. Bummer.

6. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    I can't remember off hand if flat cable goes down to 2Mhz.. All SWiM hardware needs to be able to pass 2-2150Mhz. You also didn't mention anything about a power inserter, do you have one in line? I'm also not 100% on getting 19.5V through that flat cable either. I've never tried it.

7. Tom M

Tom M Legend

Jan 3, 2007
    The flat cable is supposed to be rated for 3GHz (as is the RG6) so as long as that's the case it *should* be fine. Yes, there's a power inserter in the system. I can try a regular connector in the middle as a test to eliminate the flat cable if the cold test fails in the morning. It does seem odd to me that it would only impact tuner 2 if it's the flat cable but I guess stranger things could happen.

8. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Well, while the flat cable might be rated UP TO 3ghz, it needs to be rated DOWN TO 2Mhz in order to work properly (or at all) in a SWiM environment. The LNB assigns tuners in frequency blocks (100Mhz wide if I recall). That means that any cabling situation that is able to pass 1 tuner, in one frequency block, may not be able to pass another tuner, at the next frequency block. In that case, the 2nd tuner will never get assigned to that stb, or if it does, it will SFSS.
    If I was at your house, the very first thing I would check would be whether or not you have your tuner selection to [Dual] and not [Single] in the system setup. If you have single selected, the signal strength screen may still show the 2nd tuner, with all 0s.

9. Tom M

Tom M Legend

Jan 3, 2007
    I rebooted the box this morning and the thing took 20+ minutes to run the receiver self-check. It's the first time it's ever taken so long and I had even done a clean shutdown before removing power. Needless to say I was more than a bit worried but it did finally finish booting. And the answer is... no change.

Before retesting by removing the flat cable I decided to replace it with a spare that I remembered that i had and surprise, surprise, tuner 2 now works OK. The levels did drop a bit when the flat cable was completely in place but only by about 5 points so I'm a happy camper at this time.