1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TurboHD/Absolute Discrepancy

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by sadat1914, Apr 16, 2009.

1. sadat1914

sadat1914 New Member

Apr 16, 2009
    On February 1st I removed what is now called the Classic 200 package from my subscription and went with strictly the Turbo HD Gold and Platinum HD package (plus the locals) in the HD Absolute plan. Before doing so I called repeatedly and was told that all new non-premium HD channels would be added to the Platinum HD tier going forward. Well as we now know that is not the case.

So here is the discrepancy-from reading the threads apparently I am getting 3 channels that I am not supposed to be getting (MTVHD, VH1HD and Fox Business HD). If I am reading right I would have to at least have the Classic 100 package in addition to Turbo HD to get these channels which I don’t.

Am I correct and if so is anyone else experiencing this. Also I would really like to have BETHD but don’t want to call and try to have them resend a signal if I am getting channels that are not supposed to be in my plan because I want to keep them. For the folks who did call tech support and had the signal resent do you have a SD package in addition to your Turbo HD subscription or are you like me and HD only.

Lastly the only reason I got Platinum HD was because I was told that new HD channels would only be added in that tier going forward. Since that is not true I want to get rid of it since I never watch a single channel that is offered and nothing new that excites me has ever been added to that tier. I am afraid though that if I make any changes to my programming I might mess up my MTVHD and VH1HD channels which I do want to keep.

What does everyone think.

2. mayce4

mayce4 New Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I don't know what I would do either. It seems every so often I get access to different channels. It really steams me that I have the Turbo HD Silver package and I can't get Nick and VH1 HD channels. I may go back to DirecTV if they keep this up. I hate to do it because I love the HD DVR receiver I have!

3. CoolGui

CoolGui Icon

Feb 8, 2006
    It's upsetting me a bit too. I had planned to move over to one of the TurboHD packages soon, but now I'm not so sure.

I've read a few theories in the other threads about the cause of this, but I really have to wonder if it's a licensing/legal issue or just a way for Dish to back out of the TurboHD plans by screwing over the people who use them? Can't Dish just add the SD channel to the package if it's really a licensing issue?

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    This is neither a defense nor endorsement... but I'm not entirely sure what the reason for some new HD not being added to the TurboHD standalones right now.

Some channels did not show up until people called and had their receivers re-hit... which tends to imply that there is a technical glitch in the authorization system rather than an intentional issue.

It's also theoretically possible that some channels were not negotiated to be in those packages.

While most people seem to not be getting some of the channels in their HD-only package... there have been one or two reports of people with TurboHD getting all the new HD... so it's not clear what is in play here.

The only "sign" seems to be the lack of certain channels being included on the Dish Web site... which tends to imply it is intentional... but then again, even the folks who think they are definitely supposed to be getting the channels (Classic XXX + HD) don't have any separate list to look at on the Dish Web site.

Basically, it is a big mess of confusion... and I'm honestly not sure which way the wind is blowing.

5. CoolGui

CoolGui Icon

Feb 8, 2006
    That's the way I've been feeling since I switched off the Absolute package. It was must simpler then, pay little and take what they give you and don't complain. Now I'm too busy trying to get the actual HD channels I want without paying an arm and a leg.

I think I'm going to take the hit and stay with "everything" for now until the picture becomes a little clearer.

6. snowcat

snowcat Legend

May 29, 2007
    What about this list? http://www.dishnetwork.com/turbohd/thd_AT_and_THD_programming/default.aspx

There is a list for Turbo HD and a seperate list for Classic+HD (shown above). It seems pretty clear to me.

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    In order to deal with this, I created by own list here from the TurboHD channel lists and the Classic channel lists on the Dish website as well as cross-checking with the EKB site. None of this helps if you have the old AbsoluteHD package or if you have Charlie's package.:sure:

8. sadat1914

sadat1914 New Member

Apr 16, 2009
    In order to deal with this, I created by own list here from the TurboHD channel lists and the Classic channel lists on the Dish website as well as cross-checking with the EKB site. None of this helps if you have the old AbsoluteHD package or if you have Charlie's package.

Phrelin,

Your list you put together is one of the main things I looked at before creating this thread and led me to believe I am getting channels that are not in my package. I am not complaining by any means-just wondering if I should call to try to get BETHD or can I drop Platinum HD without messing up my current set up.

Could you explain what you mean by the "old absolutehd package" or "charlies package". I signed up for HD Absolute February 1st

9. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    How do you get to that page if you don't have the link? I couldn't find a way to get to that page via normal navigation of the menus.

That's a nice page but I can't find a way to get to it.

10. Lt Disher

Lt Disher Legend

Mar 4, 2009
    From the main Dishnetwork home page, select the HDTurbo tab.

On that page, half way down on the right side is says "Click here for Classic + HD packages"

11. Lt Disher

Lt Disher Legend

Mar 4, 2009
    Looking at the list, it appears that there are mistakes in this listing also. I think they for got to show six of the Viacoms (Comedy Central, MTV, CMT, Nick, Spike and VH1) in the columns for GoldHD and Americas Everything Pack.

12. CoolGui

CoolGui Icon

Feb 8, 2006
    You are right. Clear as mud I say! :)

Dish Network can't even keep track of their own packages and their own website. They really need to simplify it, or at least have it driven from the same datasource, not create an image every time they add channels.

Regardless of that confusion, it doesn't change the real issue I'm having that it's not clear why some channels are not on TurboHD packages.

13. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    Has to do with licensing agreements and certain channels being required to be together.

Example :

Contract for channel A says that it can only be in packages that include Channel B

Channel A is available in HD

Channel B is not.

Thus the HD version of A cannot be included in an HD Turbo package because B is not in them.

14. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    The Platinum HD had VOOM but I cancelled it because it doesn't have any value now.

15. CoolGui

CoolGui Icon

Feb 8, 2006
    So instead of doing the right thing and having a couple of SD channels in the Turbo HD package, they are depriving TurboHD subscribers of HD channels they really should be getting. I don't believe they didn't consider adding the SD channels, I'm pretty sure they did and decided they'd rather just force them subscribe to a classic channel + hd addon for more money instead.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We're talking about more that a couple of SD channels ... we are talking about entire suites of channels. Once DISH gives in to one provider and says that provider can have non-HD channels in the HD only package the other providers will push for the same thing. It will be the immediate end of HD Only packages.

If you want to see the Turbo HD and Absolute packages end then just subscribe to a Classic SD package and add HD. You can pay $15-$18 more and get all of the channels at your package level. If you want the discount then the Turbo HD packages remain available (and Absolute remains grandfathered).

Your choice. If you want the channels pay for them. :)

17. Tulsa1

Tulsa1 Godfather

Oct 15, 2003
    This is confusing:confused:
    Which HD channels are NOT included in the grandfathered Absolute package?
    I guess I'm mostly wondering about the new ones

18. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That's an interesting aspect... Since they haven't yet "locked" HDAbsolute and have added some channels lately to it... for those with that grandfathered package you have no idea what channels you are supposed to be getting anymore, and thus can't complain if you aren't getting something you should be getting.

19. pitflyer

pitflyer Mentor

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks for sharing the website and Excel sheet, but I see Encore not listed in any TurboHD package, but according to the website it is in TurboHD Gold. That may have changed since you created the list.

20. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC