1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turn off "video tape effect" in smart TV app

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by shmengie, Sep 13, 2017.

1. shmengie

shmengie Godfather

Apr 12, 2007
    City of Angels
    Hi all:

So, I recently started taking advantage of the Netflix app on my Vizio P602ui-B3. It's a 3yo 4K Smart TV. I've disable the live-motion or whatever it's called on your TV on the signal coming in from DTV, Blu-Ray, etc. But, the built-in apps (well, only tested on Netflix) still has that video-tape look. Anyone run into this on their own TV - any make/model - and figured a way around it? It's not a Netflix setting. I know it's a long shot, but, if you don't ask...

Thanks!

2. mutelight

mutelight Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    I don't have that TV but on the TVs I have owned the video settings are independent from each other between HDMI inputs and built in apps. So if you disabled the feature on the HDMI input, did you go into the picture settings while the app was running and disable it again?

shmengie likes this.
  3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I believe that's more commonly called "the soap opera effect", is that what you meant? Never having had anything but a Samsung 4K set I can't comment on how you would get rid of that effect.

Rich

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I read this a couple times and I'm confused (normal for me). I've never had a motion problem with my sets but I know folks who have with Samsungs. Seems like all they do is kill the motion thing in the settings and they're good. Perhaps Jimmie can help, I think he had some soap opera effect problems, or was that just juddering?

Rich

5. mutelight

mutelight Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    OP is referring to MCFI and he said that he disabled it for his HDMI input so it is not present when viewing sources connected to it. What I am saying is that built in apps can have their own set of picture settings, so I was making sure he disabled it on that "input" as well.

For example, on all my TVs, lets say by default the contrast is at 50. If I am on HDMI 1, I go into picture settings and I crank it up to 75. If I go to HDMI 2 or a built in app and look at the contrast, it will be 50 since each input is independent.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had no idea what MCFI means so I googled it: Motion-Compensated Frame Interpolation. When you use an obscure (I had never heard of it, obscure in that context) acronym it's always good to explain it (Pete, you reading this, Pete?). Guess it means about the same thing other makers call...well, Sammy seems to call that Auto Motion Plus. Same thing, methinks. Don't seem to need it on either of my sets. I have it set to Auto.

I've never seen picture settings on the NF, Hulu, AP, HBO Now, Showtime apps, doesn't mean they're not there. Interesting thread.

Rich

7. mutelight

mutelight Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    That is the technical term that is rebranded by individual manufacturers and they all use different names. Samsung calls it Automotion Plus, Sony calls it Motionflow, etc. but that is besides the point since the OP already found the setting on his set and I was responding to you with the term.

I have never seen picture settings in apps either, I am talking about going into the regular old picture settings that he did when he disable the feature initially, only while an app is running. The same picture settings that are at a system level on his TV.

Here is someone with a Vizio describing what I was talking about as far as disabling it: "Soap opera effect" in vizio app

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This sentence is what confused me.

Rich

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just read the link you supplied, I see where that sentence came from.

Rich

10. shmengie

shmengie Godfather

Apr 12, 2007
    City of Angels
    Ho. Lee. Shit. In a million years, I would not have thought to try that. I thought "Soap Opera On/Off" was universal to the TV. But sumonabitch...I went into the app, and needed to change the settings to turn that off. I did not know that setting was input-dependent.

A million blessings on you and your progeny, you beautiful genius!

mutelight likes this.
  11. mutelight

mutelight Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    Haha, glad you got it sorted, sir! :)

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Which app and could you describe what you did?

Rich

13. mutelight

mutelight Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    The app doesn't matter. All he had to do is open any app and then that is considered a different "input" then he disabled the soap opera effect for that "input" since the picture profiles/settings are independent to inputs.

shmengie likes this.
  14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You're saying that all four of my HDMI inputs on my Samsung 4K set have individual settings, is that right?

Rich

15. mutelight

mutelight Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    It’s been a while since I’ve had a Samsung and I usually only use one HDMI port but IIRC correctly, they are separate picture profiles but there may be a setting to have changes apply across all.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I dunno, one of the best things about Sammys and the Series 8 sets is they work well out of the box and I haven't changed any settings on mine. Let me clarify that statement: I did change some settings based on what I saw recommended on other sites on my first 4K set, the JS8500. After I got the KS8000 and saw what I think is a better picture I went back and reset the 8500 to factory defaults and got nearly the same picture on both sets...nearly. Nearly really bothers me. I paid twice as much for the 8500 and I still can't believe how much better the 8000 looks...not a SD to HD difference, but I can see it. One year's difference...

Rich

17. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    My old LG 1080P 47UA5500 (now mom's) has 4 HDMI inputs. It has a setup wizard. After you run it it asks "would you like to copy this to the other inputs?" It also has Netflix, Hulu, YouTube and othe apps. You have to turn off "TrueMotion" for each HDMI port and each app. My guess the reason for input independent settings is for tailoring them to different sources: a bluray player, PS4, Xbox 1 Xbox 1 Xbox 1, Genie, OTA etc.

I set them all to THX movie (THX preset values) and TrueMotion to 1/1

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 at 7:03 PM
  18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Some (maybe all, I only checked a couple) of my Panny plasmas do have individual settings for each input, my Sammy 4Ks don't seem to.

Rich

19. Eddie501

Eddie501 AllStar

Nov 29, 2007
    On my LG, not only do you have to turn this off for every input but for every pre-set within that input. for example if I change to room dark to room light, I have to turn it off there. If the 4k kicks in HDR, I have to turn it off there.

I have no idea why TV manufacturers are so in love with this ridiculous 'feature'. This should be something you have to turn on, not turn off.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I know Jimmie has made changes to his 2017 Series 7 Samsung and I know he's gonna read this. Let's see if he knows if the Sammys have this.

I do agree, it should be an option you have to choose. Why do the makers do this? It does seem "ridiculous". I never noticed it on my plasmas but they seem to have that feature.

Rich