TV Access Fee for Genie 2

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Hideftv, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Jun 2, 2019 #1 of 18
    Hideftv

Hideftv Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Is anyone being charged a $7.00 fee for the Genie 2 HR17? I have had 3 clients and the HR17 since the HR-17 came out. I have been charge three $7 TV Access Fees with a $7 credit for the first TV. I received an email today from AT&T “Your DirecTV Order Details”. I haven’t ordered anything. It shows they are charging a prorated charge for an additional TV Access Fee and an additional TV Access Charge.

I called and the rep said I have 4 receivers a Genie 2 and 3 clients, which I do. They never charged a TV Access Fee for the Genie 2 before. So now they are adding a $7 charge for the Genie 2. Has this changed? He wouldn’t let me talk to a supervisor and said no one was in customer loyalty.

2. Jun 2, 2019 #2 of 18
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You don't have 4 receivers.

Are they removing the credit for the first TV?

3. Jun 3, 2019 #3 of 18
    Hideftv

Hideftv Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Yes they are allow credit for the first TV and charging me for 4 so I will be baying for three. So my access fees went from a total of 3 minus 1 to 4 minus 1. I tried to explain that to him but he just kept saying you have 4 receivers.

4. Jun 3, 2019 #4 of 18
    narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    I have a Genie 2 and 6 minis. My equipment charge is $35 a month. At $7 a month that indicates the first is not being charged $7 a month.

5. Jun 3, 2019 #5 of 18
    Hideftv

Hideftv Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Thanks. That is how mine has been up until now. I have 3 minis and pay $14 a month. Not sure why they are changing it now on my account.

6. Jun 3, 2019 #6 of 18
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Call during 'normal' working hours on weekdays. Or try the online Chat. Your HS17 isn't a receiver and you shouldn't be charged as such.

7. Jun 3, 2019 #7 of 18
    Hideftv

Hideftv Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Thanks. My wife was on the phone with them for hours today, but we think it is straighten out. They also added a 24 month contract in January when our Genie 2 HR17 died and a tech came out and replaced it with another Genie 2 HR17. So they said they straighten that out also and removed the contract.

8. Jun 3, 2019 #8 of 18
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    One of the reasons I hate changing anything on my account. It usually gets messed up and it takes multiple calls to get it back to what it was. Just watch your bill. I'd also call back in two weeks and ask what your contract end date shows in the system.

9. Jun 3, 2019 #9 of 18
    Hideftv

Hideftv Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Thanks. That’s a good idea to recheck the contract end date.

10. zbaba4

zbaba4 New Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Me too. Got an email in May about changes to my equipment and what next bill would be. Showed another $7 which I figured out was for my Genie2, TV access fee, even though no TV connected. Called DTV was assured it was a mistake and would not appear on my bill. Uh, it was. Six phone calls later I have gotten explanations from 2 supervisors that this IS new ATT policy and is being rolled out slowly. Person I talked to says he spends all day explaining this to customers and that the basic level support people don't know this and give all sorts of wrong answers. FOr fun I chatted in as a potential new customer with one 4K TV. Bottom line cost for TV Access Fees would be $0. So apparently new installs may not know this either. I am not convinced I should accept this explanation but I haven't figured out how to pursue further. Will try email. One of my kids has DTV w/Genie2 and hasn't been charged yet. This is one of the very few posts I dug up from google.

11. Hideftv

Hideftv Member

Dec 15, 2015
    I think they have mine straighten out and will be charging me correctly, but won’t know for sure until my next bill. I did get another email from them and it looks like they removed one of the TV Access fees. Had to make several phone calls. When I look at the equipment on my account it shows I have four wired genie mini’s. I only have three and a Genie 2. I think AT&T has things screwed up and the people they have answering the phones don’t know one piece of equipment from another. I wonder if they just screwed stuff up when they changed everything over from DirecTV.com to MyAT&T. My account always showed the Genie 2 and 3 mini’s before. I know the CSR’s I spoke to didn’t have a clue that the Genie 2 doesn’t output video.

12. Hideftv

Hideftv Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Forgot to mention if I go in on my account one of the ones showing as a wired genie mini shows that it is in fact the Genie 2 if I go in a try to rename the location, but it is listed a a genie mini under “my equipment”.

13. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    And they will never, ever get that fixed.

14. vinhmen

vinhmen Cool Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Had the same thing happen to me - email regarding new service that I never requested with the only change being an additional receiver fee. Dreading having to call in.

15. spander

spander New Member

Jun 29, 2019
    I have the same issue. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with customer support and supposedly have it resolved. They tried three times to say the Genie 2 is a receiver that should have been charged the $7 fee from the beginning. After repeatedly explaining that's not the case and the Genie 2 does not hook up to a TV, they figured out this is a system issue where the system started automatically charging the $7 fee for a Genie 2. They agreed that should not happen. They credited my account the $7 but then said they aren't sure when the system issue will be resolved. They made a note on my account and said that if I get charged next month I should call in and it will be resolved quickly because of the notes on the account. We'll see.

16. skierrobumn

skierrobumn New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I have the same issue. Been on hold for 45 minutes now while they investigate.

17. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    They may have fixed this. Based on some really odd explanation email i got today, it appears my bill is 7 dollars less going forward and i got a prorate for current cycle

18. skierrobumn

skierrobumn New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I finally got ahold of a competent US based agent. She said this was a known global issue and it should be resolved this month.