1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Apps Issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by gregftlaud, Jan 14, 2011.

1. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    Anyone have this happening to them? TV Apps will work for a couple of days...... then u right click....it says they are loading but they dont. Network services running/enabled, internet connection fine. Then u do a reboot and the TV Apps work fine for a couple of days......then same thing. U right click.....says tv apps are loading but they never appear. Reboot again...then they work fine. I'm tired of rebooting b/c i know this is hard on the receiver.

Is this just a common issue with the Apps or is there some kind of fix for this. Like i said my internet connection is fine and network services are fine (I tested both).

I have STB/Network Services set on manual ......ports open on 27177, 27178 but network services connect fine. Any other ports I might try to open to get the Apps to work more consistently? Have Netgear WNR3500L wireless N router.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Nope, not here and I don't have anything but defaults set, no port forwarding, nor network services, but TVApps have been working fine, which I just checked again.

3. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    Hmm. Maybe just an issue with my receiver. I'm about to throw my hands up at this point with Apps. On demand, purchase via remote, VOD all work fine so maybe i should just say screw it to the apps.

I've also read in some searches that the webcam apps make tv apps stop working if the webcam apps go haywire. Maybe remove the webcam apps?

Veryoldschool do u have MRV? B/c i notice if you only hookup one receiver to your network u can choose automatic connection with STB ......connect another receiver and manual setup of STB/network services is needed.

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I had an old Linksys router & could never get Apps to work. I bought a DLink DIR-825 and have been enjoying Apps ever since.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Without having TVApps problems here, it's hard to say "but" networking issues have been know to be problems and the receivers DON'T handle these anywhere near as well as a PC does. Where a PC will time out and let you back into what you want to do, a receiver can hang so bad that it needs a reboot.
    "Case in point" using DirecTV2PC and the PC crashes, the DVR will need a reboot to use DirecTV2PC again.

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Yes I have MRV, but it hasn't changed a thing about TVApps. All receivers are set to defaults/auto and all have TVApps working fine.

7. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    I did have a similar error (APPS Not available (5)) the other day when I browsed the APPS store with my DVR but normally, the answer would be no. I don't have that problem. I also don't use the webcam APPS. I played with them but lost interest.

Have you tried defaulting to Auto on the network services with no port forwarding and Upnp enabled since you got the new router? You can ignore the 202 error if you get that. And you may have to wait 15 minutes or more after defaulting to Auto or restarting the receiver for TV APPS to connect. After that it should be stable.

If you find that you still need the manual network services and port forwarding, I'd suggest that you add TCP port 443 and UDP port 1701 to each receiver as forwarded ports in your router.

Not sure about your setup but if you multiple receivers, you'd also need to assign unique ports for each STB and audio services and forward port those to static IPs for each receiver in the router as well.

I do this but it's mostly for the sake of remembering. IMO, at least for me, it's more reliable and defeats the need for waiting after a restart. MY DVRs will establish the network services during a restart. I don't have to keep pushing/initializing the network services to maintain anything.

One thing of interest to me was that if I forward both UDP and TCP ports, the applications launch quicker. I also noticed that when I added a second NFL team (duplicate APP) that only one would show current status. Since I changed the forward porting to include UDP, both update with current status and next game times (they're both still alive in the play-offs). :D

8. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    Yah I tried to use the auto configuration on the network services setup with the new router. I got a message saying something like.............network services has started but the connection test failed. ...........as stated my internet connection is working and stb/network services are working. Just once every 1-2 days i hit the right arrow......says "tv apps loading......." but they just dont appear.

I also opened up the tcp and udp ports for the 1701 and 443 but not the way u say. I read elsewhere u open up tcp for 1701 and udp for 443 but u say the opposite........tcp-443, and udp 1701 .....which way should it be? (maybe i have it backwards and that's why the auto isnt working on network services) EDIT: I CHANGED IT THE WAY U HAVE IT AND NOW AUTO CONFIGURATION ON NETWORK SERVICES WORKS---

Also I do assign IPs on my router to my dvr's. (static).

VeryOldSchool mentions that the STB/Apps/receivers dont handle internet timeouts as well as computers. I have comcast cable and if anyone on here has comcast u know what i'm talking about. I have a docsis 3 motorola modem with 22mb download tier. Well if i go into my modem's log (192.168.100.1) i see at least one T3 timeout a day. Now while my computer stay connected could this T3 timeout with comcast be causing this problem? If the T3 timeouts are causing this issue what can i do to remedy this? Those T3 timeouts done affect my internet connection or stb/network services connection.....just seems to affect apps. Because today when the apps werent working i went in and did a system test and eveything was ok .....tested internet connection...ok...........tested stb/network services connection as well ....ok.

If the T3 timeouts are the issue here with my comcast......it seems only my hr20-700 has a hard time recovering from it and loading apps b/c my bedroom hr20-100 never has an issue with loading apps. Never.

Greg

9. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    Well good news...since i opened up ports 1701 and 443 (correctly) i have had no interruption in Tv Apps working. Looks like this is the fix